Duplicate Emails

:rofl: This topic now seems to be very popular. I wonder what obscure setting is causing? FWIW, I admin a couple of discrete Discourse fora (but I’m not expert in their config) but haven’t seen this effect—thankfully. Anyway, I quite understand the issue isn’t deliberate.

I too am overwhelmed with emails.

1 Like

I’m receiving them too - started at 3.50 am EST

I was receiving them every 2 minutes starting yesterday evening CDT. I unsubscribed at nearly 11pm. I just re-subscribed a few minutes ago and they haven’t started again … yet?

My continued apologies for the ongoing issue with massive numbers of duplicate emails.

This problem seems to only happen with some forum topics and at different times. Still looking into the cause and trying to find a solution.

If you begin receiving duplicate emails, you can visit the Preferences page for your account and change Email sending preference from ‘Only when away’ to ‘Never’:

For the love of GOD, stop these emails!!! This is atrocious coming from an expert in automation.
I suppose we could have your mail sender black listed…

All outgoing email has been disabled for the time being. My apologies for the vast numbers of duplicate emails you received.

Don’t sweat it. Anyone stubborn/smart enough to manage Applescript can surely cope with a few duplicate messages. :kissing_cat:

Really?

I get recurring duplicate email notifications every few minutes for a topic I am “Watching” if someone has replied. The recurring duplicate email notifications will only stop when I go visit the topic.

After applying a Discourse update I re-enabled emails and the system was operating correctly for several days. But last night then duplicate email issue re-occurred. Unfortunately, disabling outbound emails is an all or nothing setting in Discourse which prevents many features from operating, including not allowing new users to signup.

Please follow these directions to disable emails until I’m able to resolve this problem:

The duplicate messages started again so I followed these instructions.

Thank you for posting them.

Seems like Activity Summary is affected too. Turned my emails to Never but have still gotten several Activity Summary emails since. Unchecked that box for now.

oopsie, now I started receiving dupe emails… about 20 in 1 hour so far

Today’s update: the problem continues. My apologies to everyone for all these duplicate emails. Unfortunately, I’m not having much success getting help on the Discourse support forum and Discourse its self is a black box for me. I’ll keep working on the problem as opportunities arise. I’ll continue killing the email tasks as I find them. Problems arising overnight will be addressed in the morning.

As before, if you experience duplicate emails, please see this post for instructions on how to disable emails:

I recently posted a question on this forum to which Shane Stanley kindly replied. That was fine but, Shane’s response was emailed to me 10 times – i.e. 10 separate emails with the same notification content.

The emails were sent separately over the hours from 10.56pm yesterday to 1.30am this morning.

My apologies for the repeated emails. We are working on trying to resolve the issue.

Since the problem does not seem to be fixable I’ve disabled all outbound email again. This will prevent the duplicate messages but also prevents all notifications and also prevents new users signing up (they will not receive their email address verification email).

The Discourse community has been silent on this issue so I presume we are the only site experiencing the problem. Until I get some help, we’ll have to live without emails.

I’ve made some configuration changes. Please post something - some Lorem ipsum text - to this topic. I want to see if I receive duplicate notification emails as a result.

Here you go. Lorem ipsum text

Thanks Ed. Things look like they are better. I’m going to try turning on emails again and we’ll see what happens…

If you receive duplicate emails, please report back here.