SD 8 Repeatedly asks for "Full Disk Access"

What worked for me (on a new Ventura system) was to make a copy of CloudTabs.db, taking the file from ~/Library/Containers/Safari/Data/LibrarySafari and copying it to ~/Library/Safari. macOS wouldn’t let me simply touch the file into existence

1 Like

If you weren’t able to touch the file into existence, then Terminal itself (or whatever ran the command) did not have Full Disk Access and could not therefore bypass the SIP filesystem protections.

Manually creating the file through the GUI should work just as well, though.

Manually creating the ~/Library/Safari/CloudTabs.db file (after creating the Safari directory itself) didn’t resolve the issue, unfortunately. However the test

do shell script "cat /Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist"

passes just fine, and I verified that it doesn’t pass if I revoke FDA to SD8. (I wanted to insure that terminal having FDA might allow a shell run to pass even if SD didn’t have permission; nope, the checks are smarter than that) so I guess I’m just gonna grit my teeth and tell the popup not to show again. Goes against my nature but I don’t know what more to do after doing deletes and reboots etc.

To confirm, did you create the file at:
~/Library/Safari/CloudTabs.db (incorrect) or
~/Library/Containers/Safari/CloudTabs.db (correct)?

1 Like

I’ve encountered this on a new computer running Ventura 13.2. The CloudTabs.db file does not exist, and I haven’t received any file-save errors. I removed and added Script Debugger to Accessibility and Full Disk Access in Privacy and Security. I did a reboot before and after but still got the dialog. I checked the don’t ask again box and that seems to do the job.

I was having the same problems as listed here on a new Mac running Ventura 13.0.1. I haven’t used SDB in a long time, and it’s a new Mac, so no v.7 ever on the machine. This solution worked perfectly. Otherwise everything else here didn’t work. I was unable to save files except as Text if ignoring the dialog box.

1 Like

In my post up above, there should be a forward slash between Library and Safari… Sorry…

I had to set up Script Debugger 8 on a fresh Mac again (macOS 12.6.5), and ran into the same issue once more. However, there was some confusion above regarding the path for the file.

The correct path to fix the issue is:
~/Library/Safari/CloudTabs.db

Note the lack of Containers intermediary folder. My apologies for any confusion – unfortunately, I can no longer edit the above posts to provide the correct path.

The correct shell command is:
touch ~/Library/Safari/CloudTabs.db

Note that whatever is running the shell command (i.e. Terminal) must itself have Full Disk Access for the above to work. Alternatively, use Finder.

This removed the annoying notification, thanks.

1 Like

I too have this issue. Very frustrating!
Did anyone find a fix?

If you’re satisfied it’s a false alarm and you have made the correct settings, just click the button to stop displaying the alert.

SD 8 crashes before I can even get the popup about Full Disk Access. I used to get the popup, but after uninstalling SD 8 and reinstalling it, now it crashes right away.

Can you email the crash report?

You could also try deleting Script Debugger’s preferences file and doing a restart.

I ran across this thread after doing a fresh install of macOS Sonoma 14.1 yesterday.

This is how I silenced the popup.

cp ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari/Data/Library/Safari/CloudTabs.db ~/Library/Safari

Apparently on Sonoma:

• CloudTabs.db is saved in ~/Library/Containers/com.apple.Safari/Data/Library/Safari
  • ~/Library/Safari exists but does not contain a CloudTabs.db
  • ~/Library/Containers/Safari does not exist

Thanks to everyone who posted their experience here!

This will work only for users that have previously enabled iCloud support for Safari (most users, I’d imagine), but will also create a permanent snapshot of the current iCloud Tabs database, which people may not want for privacy reasons.

This issue arises because the iCloud Tabs database was moved to the containerized path in macOS 12.3 (presumably for privacy reasons), but Script Debugger 8 still uses the old path as a test for Full Disk Access. Creating an empty file at this location is all that is needed, since Safari no longer accesses the old path.

Because this seems to be such a frequent & recurring issue, I want to reiterate for future users:

The most straightforward shell command is:
touch ~/Library/Safari/CloudTabs.db

Note that whatever is running the shell command (i.e. Terminal) must itself have Full Disk Access for the above to work.

2 Likes

Fresh install of SD 8.06, on Sonoma (both 14 and 14.2.1) with no SD 7 folder lingering in Libraries.
Running Shane’s script I get an error:
“Can’t make file “Forest Sonoma SSD:Users:timothya:Library:Safari:CloudTabs.db” into type file.”

Rebooting etc does not fix the permissioning issue for me (full disk access permission is granted in Security preferences but SD does not recognise this).

I have also noticed when scripting Numbers that while in Monterey the statement "tell document “This_Document” " works fine, in Sonoma it will fail, as it seems to require the “.numbers” extension in the document name.
Maybe not related.

As a follow-up, I tried tree_frog’s shell command above from Nov 2023, rebooted and relaunched SD.
The full-disk access pop up has now disappeared.
Thanks to all.

In addition, Sonoma now no longer requires the “.numbers” extension when setting a Document name using applescript. In fact, doing so now generates an error, and is consistent with the behaviour in Monterey.

I think you’ll find it depends on whether you have the Finder set to display extensions or nt.

1 Like

Thanks Shane.
Regards