Pixelmator Pro 1.8 AppleScript Contest

UPDATE: This context is now closed.

Pixelmator Pro 1.8 Lynx has just been released with strong support for AppleScript. I think it’s fantastic that the folks at Pixelmator have invested so much effort to create a great AppleScript interface for their product.

To celebrate the introduction of AppleScript support in Pixelmator Pro 1.8 I’m giving away three copies of Pixelmator Pro. To win a copy of Pixelmator Pro, create up to 100 lines of AppleScript code that does something cool with Pixelmator Pro. The three submissions with the most hearts awarded by this community win.

The Pixelmator folks have created this tutorial for Pixelmator Pro’s new AppleScript interface to get you started and a free trial of Pixelmator Pro 1.8 available from the Pixelmator Pro web site.

The Fine Print

As Tom Waits famously wrote, the large print giveth and the fine print taketh away:

• Contest closes on Midnight PST, October 8, 2020.
  • Winners determined by number of hearts awarded from this forum.
  • Winners will be announced here and App Store coupon codes will be delivered via forum P.M.
  • Submissions must be posted to this forum’s AppleScript forum category with the pixelmatorpro and contest tags (so everyone can easily find your script).
  • Your script can be up to 100 lines of code (comments and blank lines excluded). Line continuations count towards line count. No single line may exceed 200 characters.
  • Your script must make significant use of Pixelmator Pro (≥25% of lines).
  • Your script must run on macOS Catalina.
  • Your script must be all AppleScript (no JXA, shell, etc.), ASObjC is permitted.
  • Your script must use no libraries (your script must stand alone).
  • Your script must run without dependancies on 3rd party software. Anyone with macOS Catalina, its built-in applications including Numbers, Pages and Keynote, and Pixelmator Pro must be able to run your script.
  • Script can read data from one external file you provide.
  • Data read from the internet must be free (cost and license) and available to all.
  • Feel free to include screenshots of the images your script produces.
  • Lets have some fun, nothing rude or destructive please.
  • I reserve the right to clarify/amend these rules as needed.

The idea of all this is that anyone can click on the Open in Script Debugger button below your script and run your code without having to do anything else (other than have Pixelmator Pro installed).

Everyone can vote for their favorite context entry. Just award hearts the scripts you like most.

Shane and I cannot participate, but everyone else is welcome. There is no need to be a Script Debugger user - all AppleScripters are welcome.

Feel free to post questions to this topic or P.M. me at @alldritt, via email or via Twitter. Feel free to contact me if you need help submitting your entry.

2 Likes

Here’s a Pixelmator blog post talking about the addition of AppleScript to Pixelmator Pro:

Awesome contest idea (and awesome of the Pixelmator people to not only add big AppleScript support but to supply example scripts in the Pixelmator Pro AppleScript dictionary!). I’ve already made a Pixelmator Pro script that is going to save me several operations, over and over and over.

YES! What a great idea Mark!
On your marks, get set, go!

Thanks.

And everyone, please vote by awarding hearts as the entries begin to appear. You can vote once per entry.

We have our first contest submission!

Daniel’s script generates this image using AppleScript:

2 Likes

We have another contest submission:

1 Like

For some reason, Mojave’s ScriptEditor fails to open the script file, although I turned off the Debug mode (was on by default in the document itself). I set it to be opened by ScriptEditor but in the context menu the default is Script Debugger.

Who won the contest?

The contest results are announced here:

https://forum.latenightsw.com/t/pixelmator-pro-1-8-applescript-contest-results