How to authorise InDesign to control Finder and System Events?

Hi,
i have this shiny new MacBook Pro M1 upgrading from my old MacBook Pro mid-2012 !!
It’s lighter, speedier, better all around… BUT
I install apps one at a time to make a manual clean install. InDesign CC 2021 & Script Debugger 8 were part of the first batch of installs as i’m mostly develop AS scripts for InDesign.
A script that i develop right now is working well on my old computer and stopped working when run from InDesign on my new computer.
What i found is that it throws errors (-1743 “Not authorised to send Apple events to System Events/Finder”) when it encounter a “Finder” or “Apple Events” tell block (the apps other than InDesign that i call in my script).

I searched online, compared the 2 computers and found that the automation panels of the security preferences were different (see captures below):

In my new computer, no Indesign as source and so, no targets for it. And i can’t find a way to authorise InDesign to control Finder and Apple Events.

my script begin with those use lines (if useful for the resolution of my problem?):
use AppleScript version “2.5”
use framework “Foundation”
use scripting additions
use BP : script “BridgePlus” version “1.3.4”

My configurations:
old mac: macBook Pro 13" mid-2012, macOS 10.15.7, InDesign 16.3.2, Script Debugger 8.0.1
new mac: macBook Pro 13" M1 2020, macOS 11.4, InDesign 16.3.2, Script Debugger 8.0.1

Thanks for your help!

You should be prompted to grant access the first time you script one of the apps from InDesign. I suspect the best solution is to use the tccutil tool to reset the privacy database. A quick Web search will give you the details.

I had some of those dialogs from launchings scripts inside Script debugger (i think) but none when launching scripts inside InDesign.
I’ll check that tccutil tool if it helps and ask the same question in the Adobe forums.
Thanks for the reply.

Bonjour Vincent,

Is your script saved as an applet?
If not, do you run it from Indesign script palette?

Hi Jonas,

yes i save them as compiled scripts and run them from the InDesign palette.

As Shane says, you’ll have to reset the authorizations.
Have a look here: tccutils

In the meantime, you can re-save your script as an applet using SD: it will automatically add access requests for your needs in the info.plist file.

[Applets can be run from InDesign palette.]

I’m also having a problem with error -1743 for my AppleScript application that needs access to Contacts. In Script Debugger 8, I saved my script as an Application (Apple) and when I double click on it, I get this error message:

@ionah says that saving the script “as an applet using SD … will automatically add access requests …”

In FileSave as… I see only the following options:

• Compiled Script
  • Compiled Script Bundle
  • Application (Apple)
  • Application (Enhanced)
  • Text

How do I save a script as an applet?

You’ve saved it as an applet. But you then have to give the applet permission in System Preferences under Security & Privacy -> Privacy.

Ok. I was looking under Automation. :pleading_face:

But my application isn’t listed under Contacts.

How do I add my application to this list? (I don’t see a + button to add items to the list as other System Preference panes have.)

UPDATE June 10, 2022 1:57 PM

I also tried dragging and dropping my application onto the list, which is how applications can be added to Accessibility. This doesn’t work either.

UPDATE June 10, 2022 2:23 PM

Apparently System Integrity Protection (SIP) must be enabled in order to get a privacy prompt. I checked, and it is enabled:

UPDATE June 10, 2022 6:19 PM
I tried re-booting. I even tried this crazy idea I found on an Apple Discussion page and reset PRAM on my ancient iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015). Interestingly, when I started after the reset, there was a message saying that my applet was being scanned. But, no luck.

I still get the same error message when I double click my applet. :weary:

Applets are:

Save your script in one of these formats and run it by double-clicking its icon.
At first launch you’ll be prompt to grant access to whatever your script needs.

If your script is saved in one of the other formats, it’s the host app that needs to be authorized.
(FastScripts, InDesign, Script Debugger or any app that has a script menu or a script palette)

When you hit the Button ‘Don’t allow’, you never get back this prompt until you reset the automation privileges via terminals ‘tccutil’ command. See also this post, espacially under ‘Workarounds and Trouble-Shooting’: