Upgrading to a New Mac with a new operating system

I got a new Mac (MacBook Pro, M1, 2020) this weekend and I’m starting to migrate my scripts and workflows.

There’s a couple issues that are coming up:

• I’m currently on Mac OS 10.11.6 using the Adobe CS6 applications and heavily script inDesign (8.1), photoshop (13.0) and Illustrator (16.04).

Will it be a pain to update scripts that work on CS6 to work with the current versions? inDesign (16.4), photoshop (22.5.1) and Illustrator (25.4.1).

• I have BBEdit but have been using TextWrangler for years. Would it be possible to script finding every script on the mac that uses TextWrangler, change the tell application to BBEdit compile the script and save it? It looks like “open quickly” is not in the dictionary, I think I can manage all the rest.

• Until I can get the code signing and notarizing working, I’m opening each app on the new machine, compiling and saving it. I get an alert the first time the app controls something new, but this seems to work. Or will that become a problem?

• Are there any system or app changes that I need to be wary of?

Thanks!

Also, not directly related to AppleScript or SD, I see that Adobe will soon be deprecating Type 1 fonts. We have hundreds of T1 fonts, some that we’ve used since the advent of postscript.

Is it possible to convert them to the modern standard?

A good text editor can perform an in-file search-and-replace +/- regex pattern matching.

Another way would be to open Script Debugger, and in a blank document, compile the statement:

application "TextWrangler"

Given there’s no such application as this on your system, it’ll ask you to locate it, which you should then direct towards BBEdit.

Then recompile the scripts, which you can automate with osacompile and, given the dictionaries are similar save for an omitted command, this should cover the difference.

Apologies if this is off-topic for this forum, but to answer part of this question:

Details about Type 1 fonts are here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/kb/postscript-type-1-fonts-end-of-support.html

I use FontLabs’ TransType 4 to convert Type 1 to OpenType. If you convert a Type 1 font to a PostScript OTF file, you simply embed the Type 1 data inside the OTF file and there shouldn’t be any loss of quality. (But I can’t vouch for that - it’s only my understanding.)

That’s very helpful, thanks!

Even simpler. Every time I open a text wrangler script the tells have changed to BBEdit. By magic?

Problem solved with zero effort!

1 Like