Suggestions for Upgrading MacOS

I’ve currently upgrading a Mac.

It’s now on High Sierra, and that works OK except it seems that ScriptDebugger runs very slowly. Everything else seems fine.

My goal is to install the most recent operating system that is the most stable and works best with my software. My question is are there any versions of MacOS to avoid?

Is there anything with AppleScript or Adope CS that will break? (Those are the only two factors that would be deal breakers).

If there’s not a clear choice I’ll probably just install the OS in order, or I could jump ahead to Big Sur.

Any suggestions?

macOS Big Sur 11
macOS Catalina 10.15
macOS Mojave 10.14
macOS High Sierra 10.13

Hey Ed,

I’ve had good luck with Mojave.

Catalina is a horror – stay far away from it.

Big Sur has had pretty good reports, but I haven’t used it personally.

-Chris

I’m running Monterey 12.1 and would not go back. Use AS to integrate InDesign, Illustrator, Excel, Word and others building dozens of documents every day.

2 Likes

Just checked, actually I’m up to 12.2 beta now and all is still good.

1 Like

Thanks guys that was very helpful! Happy New Year!

1 Like

I’m on Big Sur, and the first speedbump is:

You do not have permission to open the application

Any suggestions?

Got past the permissions issue (updated software to lastest version)

Now I have scripts that use Shane’s Bridge Plus

use theLib : script "BridgePlus" version "1.3.3"

But I get an warning that the Bridge Plus can’t be used because it’s from an unrecognized developer.

“BridgePlus.scptd” cannot be opened because the developer cannot be verified.

MacOC cannot verify that this app is free from malware.

Safari downloaded this file today at 10:08 AM

(Move to Trash) (Cancel)

What version of macOS are you using?

→ Mac OS 11.5.2
I’m also having a lot of issues with running Myriad Tables in SD8.

Read this:

It’s for Catalina, but the same applies for Big Sur.

Better still, use the version embedded in Shane’s Script Library pack here:

That works around the issue entirely. (Just make sure you remove any old versions.)

1 Like

You mentioned “Adobe CS”.

If you indeed meant CS (and not CC), then what I hear from users is that macOS 10.12 is the last acceptable system for Adobe CS (the non-subscription Creative Suite).

I did mean CS, but my worry was I would have to do a lot or rewriting to get my scripts to work with the latest versions. But after a few experiments on an upgraded Mac, I found it was worth the risk.

I noticed that on the upgraded Mac, an updated version of CS apps was also installed, and the same thing happened when I upgraded with Adobe, but the CS versions were non-functional.

The problem I heard from several users is that InDesign CS won’t work with Apple Event sandboxing. That is, InDesign won’t present the Apple Event authorization dialogs and therefore you won’t be able to use certain AppleScript-based tools with InDesign. That is, you’ll always get the “Not authorized to send Apple events to Adobe InDesign…” errors.

In fact, this issue affects even much newer versions such as InDesign CC 2014. There’re no issues with later versions that were released after Apple introduced Apple Events sandboxing.

Obviously, I don’t know if this affects your particular workflows at all.

Thanks, Leo, I think that explains what I was seeing.

So far the only issue that I haven’t been able to get around is that InDesign and Illustrator both display save dialogs when the script does a “save” command or “close saving yes” command.