Solved - Error compiling a script that uses Dialog Toolkit Plus (1.1.2)

I am trying to use Benoit Pointet’s “Download GoogleBooks Metadata.applescript” , which contains as its first lines

use script “Dialog Toolkit Plus” version “1.1.2”
on run
tell application id “DNtp”
wrapperScript((selection of think window 1) as list) of me
end tell

The script doesn’t compile (Debugger displays a message "Can’t get script “Dialog Toolkit Plus”, -1,728

I know I added DTP to ~/Script Libraries (and for good measure tried adding it to a legacy ScriptingAdditions folder),

At a bit of a loss here, any thoughts?

Mike

use AppleScript version "2.4" -- Yosemite (10.10) or later
use scripting additions
use script "Dialog Toolkit Plus" version "1.1.2"

This compiles on my mac. (I don’t have that app so I removed the rest).

To fix this or figure out what’s going on you have several options:

Go to the Scripts menu, there’s a built in script named “Open Script Libraries Folder.” Select that and if Dialog Toolkit Plus isn’t in the folder that opens in the finder, put it there. (Wherever else it might be, you can be assured appleScript will look for it there).

To confirm that Dialog Toolkit Plus has been correctly installed, open the dictionary window and look for Dialog Toolkit Plus in the left pane, under “LIBRARIES.”

You can also select “Paste Tell” in the Edit Menu and select Dialog Toolkit Plus from that list under Libraries.

HTH

→ Script Debugger 8.0.4 (8A52)
→ MacOS 11.6.5

Thanks Ed! - now it is working. I’m still scratching my head as to why the DTP disappeared from my Script Libraries folder, but your instructions helped. It was not there anymore, I placed a fresh copy, restarted Debugger, opened the dict window and there it was.

Many thanks!!

1 Like

Hello Ed,

I am currently experimenting with Dialog Toolkit Plus using some curated snippets from this forum and I can’t compile any Script Code on both my Macs

I have a MacBook Pro 2010 13" with High Sierra and SD7 and an iMac 2019 running Catalina with both SD7 & SD8

I always get the Compile Error “script “Dialog Toolkit Plus” can’t be read. Code -1728”

My Script Library Folder is synced over Dropbox with its Path ~/Dropbox/Library/Script Libraries/ to both of my Macs.

I really don’t know what to do because I have tried using a new copy of the Library and also rebooting the iMac and the MBP.

there is no chance for me to compile any Script that I try to write using this Library

hope you can help me

Greetings from Germany

Tobias

That’s likely to be the problem. Dropbox doesn’t sync package files well. Turn it off, get a new copy, and see if it works then.

2 Likes

Wow thanks Shane for this quick reply…

I’ll make a test recreating the Script Libraries Folder and placing a fresh copy of the Library in it …

if it works I’ll move all Libraries from Dropbox to both of my Macs…

actually it makes me a little sad because if I will ever have to make changes to any Library in the future I have to do the changes as many times I have Macs with the Libraries installed…

I went for the Dropbox sync to avoid this for the future…

we’ll see … I report back

Greetings from Germany

Tobias

Hello Shane (@ShaneStanley)

You was right - my way to host the Script Libraries in my Dropbox was the Issue …

I’ve removed every Library from my Dropbox to each of my Macs … and everything works just fine now.

One Question:

Is there maybe a way to use iCloud Drive to sync Script Libraries between multiple Macs ??

Greetings from Germany

Tobias

I haven’t tried it. Maybe someone who has will pipe in.

hmm… thanks anyway

maybe I’ll try it out if I have the time…

Greetings from Germany

Tobias