SD Script Notes.rtfd mysteriously gets deleted?

I added a SD Script Notes.rtfd to my SD scptd project file and later noticed it has been unexpectedly deleted :frowning:

Is there some thing I need to do to keep the SD Script Notes.rtfd file “alive” ?

running Script Debugger v 8.0.8

What was the path for the file? When SD saves a application file it can overwrite things.

the Script Debugger script files are in my home directory.

Did you add the file to the bundle via Script Debugger’s UI, or directly in the Finder?

from in Script Debugger’s UI

and I just tried adding a file by the same name via the Finder and as soon as I “save” in Script Debugger it disappears too

Did you save the app before adding the file? Until the bundle has been saved once, there’s nowhere the file can be saved.

It’s a script I’ve been working on for several days.
I realised it’d be useful to use the SD Script Notes.rtfd to keep the links to useful webpages I’ve used as reference while mangling together the code in my script

And I tried adding a SD Script Notes.rtfd to a new already saved compiled script bundle and it disapears from there too as soon as I save after adding the SD Script Notes.rtfd in the UI

Lets backup and start from the beginning. I’ve tried to reproduce this problem here without success. I’ve created a new bundled script, saved it, dragged a file named SD Script Notes.rtfd into the bundle (into the bundle’s Contents directory). Saved again, compiled, and executed the script. No matter what I do, the SD Script Notes.rtfd file remains.

When you say the SD Script Notes.rtfd disappears, when/how exactly does this happen? How are you seeing this, etc. Perhaps make a video demonstrating the entire process from creating the script, adding the SD Script Notes.rtfd file and then causing it to disappear. If we can follow your steps and reproduce the problem here we can either explain or fix the failure.

Can’t really record it disappearing, but it does.
The steps I used to confirm it are:

1. Create a new SD script with a compiled script bundle option in the Save dialog

2. Save it, so it creates the bundle stuff:
    ie: Desktop/Dummy File.scptd/Contents/Resources/Scripts etc

3. In the Script Debugger UI right click on the Resources folder icon in SD in/under the “Show” panel and choose “Add SD Script Notes File”

4. Save the file again.

5. Quit the SD app, or close the script window

6. Double click on the file I created and the SD Script Notes File is gone.

If I have the script package opened in the Finder, as soon as I “Save” the file after adding the Notes File, the Note File disappears !

I’m running v8.0.8 (8A80) of SD on Monterey v12.7.5 (21H1222)

furbies

I’m getting similar, but not identical results.

This seems odd to me. Shouldn’t the file be created inside the resources folder? It’s adding it in the contents folder.

I tried this a few times, then, after creating the file I opened it and added some text and closed and saved it. That seemed to help.

→ Mac OS: 14.6.1 (23G93)
→ Script Debugger 8.0.7 (8A77)

Also, trying saving it somewhere besides the desktop folder. That may be related.

Sorry, i misspoke, it is placed in the Resources folder…

Originally when I ran into this problem the file was being saved in a folder inside my home directory

Here’s a screen recording (its in a zipp file)
Screen Recording 2024-08-26 at 7.24.09 am.mov.zip (2.4 MB)

Thanks for the recording. We’re looking into it.

Using Script Debugger 8 UI, I get the same result in only one case:
when the file extension is rtfd and the file is saved in Resources folder.

In any other case, the file is still there after a “modify>close>reopen>modify>save>close>reopen”.
Even if the file extension is rtf. Or the rtfd file is inside a subfolder of the Resources folder.
And no matter if I use the ‘+’ button, one of the contextual menus or the drag & drop feature.

MacOS 12.7.5 (21H1222) French localization
Script Debugger 8.0.7 (8A77)

2 Likes

Thank you for determining so much detail on how it borks.

Hopefully Mark will be able to sort it…