SD Notary - can't re-notarize LibreOffice

Here is a minor puzzle. I maintain a script app that contains a complete copy of the open-source LibreOffice app (which, according to the LibreOffice site, can be used for any purpose whatever). In order to avoid conflicts with a user’s existing copy of LibreOffice, I rename the copy of the app in my bundle to “LOWP” (i.e. LibreOffice for WordPerfect), replace the icon, and change two things in info.plist: the bundle identifier, so that I can try to notarize it, and the name of the bundle.

When I try to notarize it in SD Notary, I get this error message from codesign at the point where it tries to codesign the unix executables in LibreOffice. If I remove the executable that causes the problem on my first attempt to notarize, another executable causes the same problem the next time. The only one I really need is “soffice” and that also produces this failure if I take out everything else from the MacOS folder:

I’ve checked off all the boxes in the Advanced section (except for “Is debugging tool” and “Extra entitlements”) and have checked “Can send Apple events.”

What am I missing that made it possible for the LibreOffice developers manage to notarize their app?

The issue here is that the file senddoc is not a binary file, and therefore should not be in /Contents/MacOS/. (There are others in there too.) To quote from Apple tech note 2206 on code signing:

Store Python, Perl, shell, and other script files and other non-Mach-O executables in your app’s Contents/Resources directory. While it’s possible to sign such executables and store them in Contents/MacOS, this is not recommended.

You can see the tech note here, with full details:

https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/technotes/tn2206/_index.html

In short, it can be done, but for the reasons outlined in the tech note, SD Notary doesn’t.

Thank you for that. It seems clear that the LibreOffice developers chose to sign the files, despite the tech note. I understand fully that SD Notary doesn’t do that, and for good reason.

Thanks for looking into this!

Shane, You pointed me to the easy solution: My specific application didn’t need the scripts that were in the MacOS; I simply deleted them, and the app notarized perfectly in SD Notary.

Thank you again for looking into this!