SD is crashing a lot in macOS 27

SD has been crashing quite a lot yesterday and this morning.

I updated to macOS 27 last Tuesday (Eastern Australian time). Have been working in SD yesterday and today on a very small script file. The script is working on a plain text file of around 400KB.

It’s also crashing when I close my very large applet.

SD seems to crash more often immediately after closing script files.

Is there something in macOS 27 to be wary of ? Has it changed any limits ?

I’ve attached a crash log in case it helps.

Script Debugger-2026-09-20-153834.ips (41.1 KB)

Looking at the crashlog. Are you using a Macbook with a touch bar? If so, is there a way to disable it?
Also, if there’s still a Font Doctor app to make sure all your fonts are okay, run that, as it may also be related to a font issue. Nothing else comes to mind.

Thanks for the thoughts. I’m using a Mac Studio M1 Max. I’ll check fonts if I can. I’ll also export my code to plain text and import back into SD in case that helps.

There’s a related issue. I often run my applet from the Desktop (ie. outside SD) to test changes. It now crashes every time on startup. I do check that every script is compiled etc. But, the crashes are before the code gets to the applet’s first dialog. I’ll put in a few test dialogs earlier in the code to test whether the crashes are in my code or before my code starts. At present, only way to run without crashing is to export run-only or to run from within SD.

I’m seeing the same problem. Script Debugger 8.0.10 appears to have a compatibility bug with macOS 27’s text-editing system.

From inspecting my own crash reports, AppKit is attempting to create a weak reference to an editor object that was already in an invalid teardown state, so the Objective-C runtime aborts the application.

This would be an easy fix if the app were still being maintained, but it looks like for now the answer is ‘don’t upgrade to macOS 27 if you rely on Script Debugger’.

Hey folks! Check out the beta release just posted here, and let us know if it addresses the problem for you. ANNOUNCE: Script Debugger 8.0.11 (8A89)

1 Like

Out of curiosity: What was the issue? And how did you figure the fix? Did you know the issue and proposed the fix to Mark?

There was a latent issue in SD where the mini debugger window’s text view could remain set on one document window even after focus had shifted to another. I’m not exactly sure why it started crashing in macOS 27 but probably Apple changed something in the way the frameworks’ own window/document management works, and it started revealing the issue.

I was running into the crash myself so I asked Mark if I could help and he agreed to let me debug it.

1 Like

Many thanks for the fix. No crashes while editing scripts so far.

However, my saved applet still crashes on startup. A simple applet is fine but mine is quite complex. Same problem with saving the applet in Script Editor. Problem I guess is with my applet which might be affected by a change in macOS 27. I’ve attached an example crash log.

By the way, macOS 27 seems to have fixed spacing of buttons in dialogs when running the applet in SD. My applet uses DTP Plus to show dialogs. In macOS 26, running my applet in SD had wrong spacing of buttons in those dialogs. Spacing was normal when running exported. With macOS 27, spacing is now normal when running in SD. Suggests there have been some fixes in macOS 27.

applet-2026-09-26-114441.ips (20.1 KB)

Works well. Thank you, Daniel. So… does mean you might take over development of the app? :wink:

I would be ecstatic if Daniel took over Script Debugger, of only to keep it running in situations such as this.

Given Daniel’s excellent track record of taking over development of Mars Edit and Black Ink, I agree it would be a wonderful outcome. One can but hope!

Thanks, folks! Indeed, I care about keeping Script Debugger running, too. Especially as Apple’s Script Editor seems to get more and more crashy with every release, I think it’s important to have a free, functional editor for people to use!

@Jsm No plans to “take over” but I’m at Mark’s disposal if I can help with anything :slight_smile:

1 Like

I, for one, would be more than happy to pay for an upgrade any time a situation like this recent one occurs and you, or anyone, spend time fixing the issue.

4 Likes