SD 8 (8A18) not the same result as SD 7 2/4/21

Mark,

I am not sure if this is an error or not. In SD7 it returns the script text from the window named “Untitled 5.” In SD8 I get an error dialog saying “System Events got an error: Script Debugger is not allowed assistive access.”

Here is the error dialog generated in SD 8:
Dialog

The script for SD 8:

set AppName to "Script Debugger"
tell application AppName to activate
tell application "System Events"
	tell process "Script Debugger"
		value of text area 1 of scroll area 1 of splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of window "Untitled 52.scptd"
	end tell
end tell

The script for SD 7

set AppName to "Script Debugger"
tell application AppName to activate
tell application "System Events"
	tell process "Script Debugger"
		value of text area 1 of scroll area 1 of splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of splitter group 1 of group 2 of window "Untitled 5.scptd"
	end tell
end tell

Bill Kopp

You need to go to System Preferences and give Script Debugger 8 access. Although Script Debugger 7 and Script Debugger 8 have the same name, they have different ids and therefore can’t share permissions.

Shane,

I tried adding both SD7 and SD8 to “Full Disk Access” but I got the same result as before.

Bill Kopp

I’m afraid that’s an OS problem, and unfortunately not too uncommon. The usual remedies are a restart and/or resetting permissions via tccutil.

Shane,

I tried tccutil reset All com.latenightsw.ScriptDebugger8 in terminal and terminal returned “No such bundle identifier”

My goal is to test if Script Debugger 8 is capable of performing the original GUI test. This is part of beta testing. I got the com.latenightsw.ScriptDebugger8 bundle identifier from Info.plist in the app bundle. It doesn’t make sense to me that the OS does not recognize the bundle identifier. If there were really no recognizable bundle ID lots of things shouldn’t work. But so far only one thing doesn’t work.

As a former software tester it bugs me when I can’t get something to work in a test. But I can’t spend all my time on 1 test. I can try activating a menu item with GUI scripting to make sure I can get something to work with GUI. But it does bug me I can’t get a simple thing like this to work with SD8.

Bill

I understand your frustration — I’ve had the same thing happen to me. But unfortunately there’s nothing we can do at this end.

That is the correct id, although tccutil parameters might be case-sensitive (All vs all).

I wasn’t frustrated I just have a lot of things to test and this 1 thing was becoming too difficult. On the up side I have got SD 8 to crash a few times and sent in a report. This is probably the only time you and Mark will be happy about finding bugs :slight_smile:

Now doing advanced GUI scripting on Preview in Mojave, that’s frustrating :slightly_smiling_face:

Bill Kopp

1 Like