SD 8.0.3 – Compiled, saved => lost English language and applet.icns

I’ve started using SD8 on an old laptop running macOS Mojave.

I opened a code signed & notarised copy of my applet, made two small changes, compiled and saved. It’s an “Apple” application.

That process wrote over my “applet.icns” file with the default AppleScript applet icons file. It also removed the “Localizable.strings” file from the “en.lproj” resources folder. So, my applet’s dialogs show in German instead of English (“de.lproj” is the first language folder).

Is there a setting or something else I should have done before editing the code signed applet ?

Should I avoid editing code signed files completely ?

Thanks.

If you’re customising the icon, name your .icns file something other than the default name.

You shouldn’t edit notarized files. In general, it makes sense to just keep an unsigned development copy, from which you export and notarize.

You can edit signed files, but it’s probably not a good idea to edit those signed with the hardened runtime (ie, those signed for notarizing).

I’m not sure why your .strings file was removed. Send me a copy via email and I’ll have a look.

Shane, thanks.

If you’re customising the icon, name your .icns file something other than the default name.

OK. I’ve been using “with icon note” to direct “display dialog” to use the custom icon. Can change that.

You shouldn’t edit notarized files.
You can edit signed files, but it’s probably not a good idea to edit those signed with the hardened runtime

Makes sense. I was trying to replicate the experience reported by a user. So, I used the same signed and notarised applet.

I’m not sure why your .strings file was removed. Send me a copy via email and I’ll have a look.

OK. I’ll send copies of the original and the altered versions.

Cheers and many thanks for so fast a response.

Garry

You can just choose the alternative icns file in SD:s resources tab. Then it will work as before without any need for change in your code.

Jost, thank you for this. This saves a lot of work.

Cheers.