Possible for a script to test whether Rosetta 2 is installed?

I have a script that runs an Intel app stored inside it. The script fails if it runs on an M1 Mac that doesn’t have Rosetta 2 installed. Is there a way that the script can test whether Rosetta 2 is installed and prompt the user to install it if it isn’t?

I can’t find any answer to this online, but maybe I haven’t looked attentively enough. Thanks for any advice.

EDIT: I looked more attentively and found this but (EDIT2) it seems to fail on the Monterey beta: It reinstalls Rosetta 2 on a system that already has it installed, and then, if run a second time, it reports an error “Package reference com.apple.pkg.RosettaUpdateAuto is missing installKBytes attribute.” Possibly the author will update it before long.

I believe the existence of these 3 files indicates that Rosetta is installed.

/Library/Apple/usr/share/rosetta/rosetta
/Library/Apple/System/Library/Receipts/com.apple.pkg.RosettaUpdateAuto.bom
/Library/Apple/System/Library/Receipts/com.apple.pkg.RosettaUpdateAuto.plist

Or you could also test

if [[ "`pkgutil --files com.apple.pkg.RosettaUpdateAuto`" == "" ]]
then 

echo 'rosetta not installed'

else

echo 'rosetta installed'

fi

However I don’t have a system without Rosetta installed that I can use to test.

I set up a test volume with Rosetta not installed. Your script correctly reported that it wasn’t installed there, and correctly reported that it’s installed in my working system. Thank you!

1 Like

Great! I was trying to figure out if I can install M1 version of Big Sur in VMWare, but it doesn’t seem possible, because VMWare itself is Intel, but I’m not 100% sure.

Anyway, I’m glad to know it works for you.

I know this going off-topic, but you may be able to install M1 Big Sur in Parallels Desktop, which is now a universal app and runs the ARM version of Windows 10.

EDIT: Parallels doesn’t support macOS on M1 machines. There’s something called UTM out there, but it’s reported very slow. So there seems to be no way to install a guest macOS system on an M1 Mac, at least now.

1 Like

I think this may do the job of testing for Rosetta 2 and installing if needed:

use AppleScript version "2.4" -- Yosemite (10.10) or later
use scripting additions

set ss to "processor=$(/usr/sbin/sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string | grep -o \"Intel\")
if [[ -n \"$processor\" ]]; then
    	echo 'intel'
 else
	if [[ \"`pkgutil --files com.apple.pkg.RosettaUpdateAuto`\" == \"\" ]]
	then 
		echo 'not-present'
	else
		echo 'installed'
	fi 
fi"

set rosetta to do shell script ss

if rosetta is "not-present" then
	try
		do shell script "/usr/sbin/softwareupdate --install-rosetta"
	on error err
		display dialog err
	end try
end if

2 Likes

Actually that script doesn’t work correctly, and neither does this revised version, for reasons I’ll describe below:

on checkRosetta()
	set ss to "processor=$(/usr/sbin/sysctl -n machdep.cpu.brand_string | grep -o \"Intel\")
	    	echo 'intel'
	 else
		then 
			echo 'not-present'
		else
			echo 'installed'
		fi 
	fi"
		display dialog "Rosetta 2 needs to be installed before I can run. Shall I continue?" buttons {"OK", "Cancel"} with title "Rosetta 2 required" default button 1
		if button returned of result is "Cancel" then
			error number -128
		end if
		try
			do shell script "sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --install-rosetta –agree-to-license" with administrator privileges
		on error err
			display dialog err
		end try
	end if
end checkRosetta

What goes wrong here is that a dialog box pops up saying: I have read and agree to the terms of the software license agreement. A list of Apple SLAs may be found here: http://www.apple.com/legal/sla/ Type A and press return to agree:

This is the same message that appears when entering the command at the terminal. I can’t figure out how to perform those same steps (press A, or Ctrl-C to cancel). Is it possible that the way to do this is to run a shell script that in turn runs osascript to run the shell script? (I actually found that a method like this works to get things done that I couldn’t figure out in other contexts, but can’t figure out how to accomplish this here.)

Also, of course, I suppose I could prompt the user to open a terminal and enter the command, but that only creates problems for the users I’m trying to support.

This gets the job done, but it would be nice to have a solution that doesn’t require the terminal:

on checkRosetta()
	    	echo 'intel'
	 else
		then 
			echo 'not-present'
		else
			echo 'installed'
		fi 
	fi"
		set doScript to "sudo /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --install-rosetta --agree-to-license"
		display dialog "Rosetta 2 needs to be installed before I can run." & return & return & "When you click OK, I will open a terminal window." & return & return & "macOS will ask you to grant me  permission to control the terminal. When you grant permission, I will enter the command that installs Rosetta 2." & return & return & "You will be prompted to enter an administrative password to install Rosetta 2, or you can press Ctrl-C to cancel." & return & return & "When Rosetta 2 is installed then run me again." buttons {"OK", "Cancel"} with title "Rosetta 2 required"
		tell application "Terminal"
			activate
			do script doScript
		end tell
		error number -128
	end if
end checkRosetta

Hrm…

1. My (very limited) understanding is that sudo should not be used in shell scripts in AppleScript, and with administrator privileges should be used instead (and definitely not both).

2. The command /usr/sbin/softwareupdate --install-rosetta --agree-to-license is supposed to agree to the license without requiring any user interaction. That’s the whole point of --agree-to-license in the first place.

Did you try:

do shell script "/usr/sbin/softwareupdate --install-rosetta --agree-to-license" with administrator privileges

?

Yes, of course you are right. Thank you. I haven’t actually completed the command because, when I do, Rosetta 2 will be installed on my test system, and I will have to erase the volume and reinstall the OS in order to test it again, but your suggestion is clearly right.

based on

lsbom /Library/Apple/System/Library/Receipts/com.apple.pkg.RosettaUpdateAuto.bom

I would assume that you might be able to remove Rosetta by removing these files:

/Library/Apple/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.oahd-root-helper.plist
/Library/Apple/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.oahd.plist
/Library/Apple/usr/libexec/oah/debugserver
/Library/Apple/usr/libexec/oah/oahd
/Library/Apple/usr/libexec/oah/oahd-helper
/Library/Apple/usr/libexec/oah/oahd-root-helper
/Library/Apple/usr/libexec/oah/runtime
/Library/Apple/usr/libexec/oah/runtime_t8027
/Library/Apple/usr/libexec/oah/translate_tool
/Library/Apple/usr/share/rosetta/rosetta

but I have not tested that to verify. However, if you are prepared to do a wipe-and-reinstall anyway, it might be worth testing.

That sounds plausible, but it will need some further checking on a system pre- and post-installation. Thank you for this.

1 Like