Possible bug with NSString's stringWithFormat

When running the script contained below (which contains an obvious error), Script Debugger shuts down and reports “Script Debugger quit unexpectedly.” Is this something I should report and, if so, what is the best way to do this. The “Report” button appears to send the issue to Apple.

I’m running macOS 12.5 and Script Debugger 8.0.4 on a 2018 Mac mini.

use framework "Foundation"
use scripting additions

set stringOne to current application's NSString's stringWithString:"aaa"
set stringTwo to current application's NSString's stringWithString:"bbb"
set stringThree to current application's NSString's stringWithFormat_("%@%@%@", stringOne, stringTwo)

After SD shuts down, when you relaunch there should be a Crash Reporter window open, that sends the crash information directly to Late Night software. (If the crash reporter doesn’t come up, that’s another issue that should be reported!)

If those don’t come up, but the Apple report does, you can save that to one drive or Dropbox, etc. and send a link to Mark or Shane.

Also, when you start a topic with a crash report I use the “ScriptDebugger” “Beta Testing” category.

This certainly seems like an issue worthy of their attention.

FYI, crashed on my mac too.

The crash was instant. SD just blinked out. No SD or Apple crash reporters.

→ Script Debugger 8.0.4 (8A52)
→ Mac OS 11.6.7 (20G630)

Thanks Ed for the information. I get an Apple but not a Script Debugger crash reporter.

For comparison, using Script Debugger 8.0.4 on my Mojave (10.14.6) system, the script neither errors nor crashes but returns (NSString) "aaabbb(null)". It doesn’t crash Script Editor either.

To be honest, I’m more surprised by @NigelGarvey’s result than @estockly’s. This sort of mistake in ASObjC can often result in instant and silent crashes.

Thanks Shane. I thought that might be the situation, and I won’t report similar errors in the future.