Need AppleScript to recover ID3 tags for iTunes

My external hard drive died and I lost all my iTunes files. Luckily, I have them all on my iPod. Unluckily, iTunes stripped away all the ID3 tag info for about 14,000 songs, so all I have is the song titles - no artist info, grouping details, etc. It’s not something I can easily recreate, short of manually re-entering all the details, which I have calculated will take me about 5 years, at the rate I’m going.

I spoke to someone who said he could easily build me a script for PC, to take all the details off the iPod, into a text file, and then match it back up with all the tracks in iTunes. The idea was to identify each track by the file size, converting that size into a lengthy numeric code. There might have been a few duplicates, but far fewer than 14,000 tracks, so I could work those ones out manually.

However, I’m on a Mac and the process just didn’t work out. The person trying to help me didn’t know enough about AppleScript to make it work for the Mac, so it hit a dead end.

I don’t personally know anything about scripts / coding and am searching for someone who might be able to build me a script that will resolve this on the Mac. I’m willing to pay something for it, if it works.

Thanks for reading.

I can help. I have a set of scripts available dealing with audio files and metadata.
Do you have the text file containing the tag data already? I need to look into this.
Heiko

Hello! Yes, I have txt files listing all the tag data as it shows on the iPod.

Please send an extract or the entire txt to me: lorem.ispum@icloud.com
Thanks - Heiko

I have just sent it to you from vrinda at vrindapendred dot com

Do you have the iTunes.xml file anywhere?

That’s where the info is stored.
ITunes won’t delete any id3 data unless you did something yourself in iTunes to make it happen.

All id3 meta data is stored in the files.
(Th