Mojave Applescript release notes

Takaaki Naganoya tracked this down:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/macos_release_notes/macos_mojave_10_14_release_notes?language=objc#overview

AppleScript

New Features

• Sending Apple events from an app—including script applets—now requires user approval. The list of currently approved apps can be viewed and edited in the Automation category in the Privacy tab in System Preferences > Security & Privacy. If an event is blocked because the user didn’t approve that app, the event will fail with the error code: -1743 (" <sender> : Not authorized to send Apple events to <target> ") . An event can be preflighted using AEDeterminePermissionToAutomateTarget .
  • Scripting additions can no longer be globally installed. The /Library/ScriptingAdditions , /Network/Library/ScriptingAdditions , and ~/Library/ScriptingAdditions directories are effectively ignored.Distribute scripting additions as part of a specific app by embedding the scripting addition in the app’s Contents/Resources/Scripting Additions directory and signing both the addition and the app with the same team identifier.
3 Likes

It doesn’t “just work” anymore.

That does seem to be the TL;DR

Man, they really need a ‘casual Applescripter’ developer level where you pay $10 and allows you just to code sign Applescripts. $99 for a full developer license just doesn’t make any sense for people who aren’t develping scripts commercially.

1 Like

Possibly a hard sell ? I can imagine them preferring (in the light of security etc) a slightly higher entry barrier, and a rather less active village-market trade in artisanal scripts.

Thanks for the TL;DR comment. I did read your very informative post, but was already aware of most of it. My response reflects my frustration with Apple for crippling their system in the name of security. I’ve used Macs since early 1984, and most of my family and close friends also do as a result of my experience and consistent praise of Macs.

I’ve used AppleScript, various other “macro” programs (currently Keyboard Maestro), and VBA to work around deficiencies, make my Macs operate more intuitively for me, and to improve my productivity. Unfortunately, that effort now includes overcoming Apple’s apparent counter efforts.

On your point of scripting additions, I’m very appreciative of Mark’s SatimageOSAX program, which is immensely helpful. I haven’t used Xcode, and don’t consider myself a serious programmer.

I find that I have mixed feelings about this – as more of life (and economic activity) moves into the digital layer of things, the security challenges are bound to increase, and the shape and nature of the niche inhabitable by user automation is bound to change.

Having tried Mojave, I find that I’m not really too impeded by the additional checks, and, in a way, even appreciate them.

If tightened constraints on automation were the main problem for Apple, things wouldn’t be looking too bad.

(A bigger challenge seems to be increased dependence on selling phones at very high prices. That looks less sustainable – middle class markets are still growing in some regions, but they are shrinking, or even evaporating off, in others).

1 Like

I’m still reasonably okay with Mac automation too, despite some Mojave obstacles, but feeling threatened.

Yes, I know the focus has changed to iPhones and iOS. Too bad for me. I’m still Mac-centric, not iPhone-centric (although I have one). (I was going to ponder Steve Job’s perspective, but It might not be much different than Apple’s.)

I think it’s fair to say that the way the changes have been introduced has caused a lot of confusion and angst. A D- for execution.

2 Likes

The quality of attention given to macOS does seem to be drifting …