Minimum OS requirement for Script Debugger 8

The Late Night website lists Catalina as the minimum OS for running Debugger 8. Curiously, the website also documents some Mojave-related information for SD8. I’ve downloaded and started the trial period for SD8 and it seems to run fine under Mojave. The app’s Help files also list Mojave-related info.

So, please clarify. Is running Script Debugger 8 in Mojave advisable or is it a bad idea? If it’s a bad idea, I’d love to know the reason.

Thanks,
Stan C.

Script Debugger 8 requires Mojave (10.14) or later to operate. My apologies for the confusion.

Awesome! Thanks for the clarification, Mark.

Not sure this is intentional or not, but when I launched SD 7 this morning I got an update alert for SD 8, even though I can’t install it on my system.

→ Script Debugger 7.0.13 (7A125)
→ Mac OS 10.11.6 (15G22010)

My main system is still on 10.13.6 and I also get the Sparkle window suggestion I could update to v8, which I can’t, though.

Mark, Sparkle has a <sparkle:minimumSystemVersion> tag by which you can specify that the <item> only applies to that version and higher. That way, you can have two items in there: One for older SD versions, with a minimumSystemVersion of e.g. 10.6, and one for SD8 with a version 10.14.

Or, in case you just wanted to have a way to let everyone know that there’s a new version 8, leave that one in without the minimumSystemVersion, but add a new item for minimumSystemVersion 10.14 for any further SD8 updates. That way, anyone seeing the initial SD8 announcement will see it even on older systems, but if they then choose “Skip this version”, they won’t get another one once you release 8.0.1, and so forth. Of course, you also need to link the SD8.0.0 item with a different releasenotes, then. And since this will then only appear on pre-10.14 systems, you could explain at the top of those special notes that:

1. This won’t install on their current system
  2. To get rid of this msg, they should click on the Skip button,.