How to Properly Handle Script Debugging in Script Debugger 8

Hey guys… :wave:

I have Script Debugger 8 and have been exploring its features for automating tasks with AppleScript. One area where I’m struggling a bit is with debugging. I’ve seen the various debugging tools like breakpoints, step execution, and variable inspection, but I feel like I’m not using them to their full potential.

Could someone explain how to efficiently use the debugging tools in Script Debugger? For instance, how do you decide where to place breakpoints, and how do you approach stepping through scripts without getting overwhelmed by all the details? I often find myself losing track of which part of the script I’m debugging, especially when dealing with more complex scripts with many handlers and variables.

Could anyone guide me about this? Additionally, are there any best practices or tips for reading through the log or for managing multiple scripts at once? Sometimes I find it hard to interpret the logs effectively when errors or unexpected behavior occur.

Thanks in advance!

Respected community member! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

First thing is that the Debugging in Script Debugger is ideally suited for breaking the work in your script in handlers.

I place breakpoints on the fly, where I expect an issue to show itself. Nearly apple event or command returns a result, so I place breakpoints after a specific command so I can see the result in the result pane,

Sometimes I’ll just put the name of a variable or a simple command on a line by itself and a breakpoint on the next line so I can see it’s value before the script goes on to use it. (This is often useful with local variables inside handlers, but you can also declare local variable in the handler and see their value.)

Also there is a page here with links to a number of short videos, tutorials and guidance for debugging with Script Debugger, which are very worthwhile. I particularly like the feature in <20 Seconds video.