How to prevent "CR" icons from being pasted into the editor?

Sometimes it’s useful to put up a dialog with some info from a running script, and copy and paste some of that into the script, to compare the output with the code.

When doing this, small icons that appear to have “CR” inside of them appear in the editor at the end of every pasted line.

These little things make reading the text difficult and require manual editing one-by-one to get rid of. I’d much rather that they weren’t pasted in the first place.

I’ve been through the menus and preferences, and searched the in-app Help, and the forum in various ways, but can’t find a way to prevent these small icons from being pasted along with the text.

Is there some way to prevent these things from being pasted into the editor? Thanks.

SD 8.0.5 on Monterey 12.6.6.

Didn’t test but I think the CRs are converted automatically to Linefeeds if you compile the script again.

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, a recompile does not make them go away:

1. In SD, run a script that puts up a dialog with info
  2. Copy text from the dialog
  3. Paste the copied text into a comment block in SD: the CR icons are pasted at the ends of the pasted lines of text
  4. Recompile: the CR icons remain

And because none of the pasted text is valid code, pasting it outside of a comment block and recompiling just causes a compile error, and the CR icons are unaffected and reman.

How do you create the dialog’s text? Could you post an example script?

I can confirm this.

I run this script, and copy the text from the dialog and paste it inside a comment block in a Script Debugger script. (below)

With Show Invisibles turned off, when I paste it, I do not see the CR icon, but it then appears when the script is compiled.

With Show Invisibles turned on, when I paste it I see the CR icons for the Return lines and the LF icon for those lines. If I turn Show Invisibles off, the CR icons persist.

This seems to be a bug.

use AppleScript version "2.4" -- Yosemite (10.10) or later
use scripting additions

set textForDialog to "First linefeed" & linefeed
set textForDialog to textForDialog & "Second linefeed" & linefeed & linefeed
set textForDialog to textForDialog & return
set textForDialog to textForDialog & "First return" & return
set textForDialog to textForDialog & "Second return" & return & return

--display dialog
set buttonList to {¬
   ("Cancel"), ¬
   ("Okay") ¬
      }
set DialogReply to display dialog ("Copy text paste into Script Debugger window inside a comment block") ¬
   with title ("testing") ¬
   default answer textForDialog ¬
   buttons buttonList ¬
   default button 2 ¬
   cancel button 1 ¬

(*
      First linefeed
      Second linefeed

First return
      Second return

*)

1 Like

Also, If the text in the dialog contains compilable appleScript commands with returns, they appear when pasted exactly the same as above.

However, if I paste them outside the comment block, they are converted to LF when compiled.

No – this is a deliberate decision not to mess with what’s on the clipboard inside comments. Here’s a simple example of where it could be problematic:

set theData to read theFile as «class utf8»

(* 
--For testing:
set theData to "First	Last	Age
John	Citizen	33
Jane	Doe	56"
*)

-- do stuff with theData

Suppose the text in the file is return-delimited, and you want to test the code with a sample instead of the full file. If the returns were auto-converted, the pasted sample data would no longer reflect the contents of the file, and you could end up wondering why your sample works but not the full file.

It’s simple enough to script the change for a selection:

tell application id "com.latenightsw.ScriptDebugger8" -- Script Debugger 8.app
	set theSel to selection of document 1 as text
	set theSel to paragraphs of theSel
	set {saveTID, AppleScript's text item delimiters} to {AppleScript's text item delimiters, {linefeed}}
	set theSel to theSel as text
	set AppleScript's text item delimiters to saveTID
	set selection of document 1 to theSel
end tell

1 Like

Thanks for testing this.

Do the results in these screen shots match your experience?

And perhaps I should have mentioned that I’m copying text displayed in a dialog, not text entered in a dialog, as in the attached script and screenshots.

use AppleScript version "2.4" -- Yosemite (10.10) or later
use scripting additions

set foo to "foo"
set bar to "bar"
set baz to "baz"

display dialog "Hello world" & return & foo & return & bar & return & baz & return

(*

*)

Evidently I posted the morning without first refreshing the page and just now saw your response. Thanks for the explanation and script.