High Sierra closing in

It must be getting close — the release notes for AppleScript are out already:

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/releasenotes/AppleScript/RN-AppleScript/RN-10_13/RN-10_13.html

1 Like

That’s unusually early, but I don’t think it means anything. Looking at the latest beta there’s still a lot of work to be done on some key areas. I wouldn’t expect the release date to be anything earlier than the usual 1st or 2nd week in September (Sierra was late last year and didn’t appear till October).

On the up side, I note that the latest beta now supports Xcode 8.

Considering the 10.12 release notes were released ony the day before, that’s an understatement :slight_smile:

Well it suggests the AppleScript people have packed away their toolbox. So it might be a good time for people to check nothing has been broken.

Yes, that ‘fixes minor issues regarding security’ phrase might have large consequences, depending on what exactly they’ve done.

I just got caught by a ‘minor change’ in Xcode on Sierra which means you can’t codesign if any of the archive contents have extended attributes. Dunno how SD will deal with this.

If you haven’t come across this issue yet, see:

and

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/qa/qa1940/_index.html

Script Debugger removes all extended attributes from the bundle before signing.

Thanks, that’s good to know.

I’d have assumed that Xcode would have done that too and was surprised to get the codesign fail.

The issue with scripts came up when Sierra was still in beta, because AS pre-10.12 still included resource fork stuff when saving, even though it was no longer needed. So at that stage you couldn’t codesign from SD or SE.

Changes were made to AppleScript so that resource forks are no longer included in saving. But if you add, say, a script saved under 10.11 (say, a library) into a bundle and try to save and sign it in SE under 10.12, you still get the error. We decided it made more sense for SD just to strip them immediately before codesigning.

1 Like

That “document” is almost more depressing than if they hadn’t published anything.

I’m not sure why you’d say that. I find it reassuring that they’re still fixing bugs.

My take from it is that people should keep logging bug reports.