Get user's username / password from keychain?

I have been using this for years for my own stored passwords

on getPW(keychainItemName)
	do shell script "security 2>&1 >/dev/null find-generic-password -gl " & quoted form of keychainItemName & " | awk '{print $2}'"
	return (text 2 thru -2 of result)
end getPW

But of course this is not safe in the script either, as anyone could execute it. To be on the safe side, I would export this to a Run-Only script.

Hello @furbies :wave:

Here is a snippet I have in use for a long time now …

property KeychainPasswordName : "YOUR_KEYCHAIN_PASSWORD" -- name of your password item in the Keychain

set my_password to getPassword(KeychainPasswordName)
set my_username to getUsername()

-- Retrieve the administror password you saved on your Keychain
on getPassword(keychainItemName)
	local password
	set password to do shell script ("/usr/bin/security 2>&1 >/dev/null find-generic-password -gl " & quoted form of keychainItemName & " | cut -c 11-99 | sed 's/\"//g'")
	if password contains "could not be found in the keychain" or password as string is equal to "" then
		display alert "Password not found in the keychain" message "Certain tasks in this script need the administrator password to work.
You must create a new password in the OS X Keychain with a custom name, and set it with your administrator password, then edit this script." as critical
		error "Password could not be found in the keychain."
	else
		return password
	end if
end getPassword

-- Get the short username (name of your home folder)
on getUsername()
	#tell application "System Events" to return the name of current user
	short user name of (system info)
end getUsername

as far as I am aware this code works without issues…

Greetings from Germany :de:

Tobias

Thank you to Dirk & Tobias !

Is there a way to just request access to the human’s “user name” & “password” which will likely be an Administrator username/password for the Mac ?

It’s easy enough to tell the user to create a new entry in Keychain Access for my Applet so it can know what the user name and password of an admin account is, but there’s going to be that percentage that just can’t do it right, and so the Applet won’t work as expected…

ps: the getUsername function needs a small correction

– Get the short username (name of your home folder)
on getUsername()
# tell application “System Events” to return the name of current user
return short user name of (system info) ## Added the return
end getUsername

You could perhaps ask “Piyomaru”. He is also in the forum and has two entries on the subject on his site:

http://piyocast.com/as/archives/category/keychain
http://piyocast.com/as/archives/category/keychain-2

However, the frameworks used are from 2015/16 and therefore do not run on an Apple Silicon. Perhaps someone could recompile them (unfortunately I failed).

1 Like

Hello @furbies

No it doesn’t matter if you write it like I‘ve done it or like you did.

It’s an example of the AppleScript Syntax where more than one form means absolutely the same.

If you prefer it this way - just go for it …

Tobias

Hello @Dirk :wave:

Many thanks for sharing these… I didn’t know they existed…

Very useful Stuff.

Tobias

These script use “SSKeychain” framework. It is not a maintained project.
Ill recommend to use DTKeychain, instead.

http://piyocast.com/as/archives/category/keychain-2

This project can be compiled in Universal binary.

@Piyomaru: Thanks for the hint

Here is a Sample-Script Bundle including the framework. This allows you to create, read and delete KeychainItems incl. account and password data:

DTKeychain.scptd.zip (63.0 KB)

Note: It may be necessary to remove the quarantine flag:
sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine ~/Downloads/DTKeychain.scptd

Theoretically, you could use the ‘getKeychainItem’ handler to retrieve any KeychainItem, provided you know the correct service name.

See: DTKeychain

1 Like

At @Dirk:

Thank you for providing the Sample Script Bundle. I’m looking forward to build projects based on that code :smile:

Tobias

At @Piyomaru:

About the SSKeychain Framework- it might be unmaintained but I can confirm that it is still usable with Monterey on an Intel Processor based Mac.

I have to say thank you to you as well - if you’ve not posted in your blog about these two Frameworks - we might possibly never known about their existence. Thank you :pray:

Tobias

At @furbies

Hello :wave:

You might possibly interested in this Sample above posted by Dirk

Tobias

Tobias

Do you have sample code of how to access a password item in the login keychain, using DTKeychain ??

Hello :wave:

No - I don’t have example code yet … I’ll maybe share it here when I have some code ready.

I have a lot of going on at the moment and it will definitely take a while for me to look into this.

Sorry about that…

But as far as I have seen you - could make a Library out of the code Dirk shared and re use it in every single Project you want to.

Tobias

Why has no one suggested using the excellent “Usable Keychain Scripting” app written by Daniel Jalkut, of Red Sweater and FastScripts fame?

Though written in 2006, it still works fine here. But then, I am still running Big Sur. Can’t swear it works on later macOS versions. To try it, grab it here: Usable Keychain Scripting –

Stan C.

StanC, wouldn’t I have to bundle “Usable Keychain Scripting” with my Applet though, if I used “Usable Keychain Scripting” and manage to give away at least one copy of my Applet ??

Yes, that would be true. However, the Copyright and License that comes with “Usable Keychain Scripting” says:

Usable Keychain Scripting is ©2006 by Red Sweater Software, All Rights Reserved.
You are granted unlimited free license to use this software for your personal needs on the condition that you agree to hold Red Sweater Software not liable for any damage the software may cause you.

The bit about “personal needs” may rule out giving away or selling it bundled in your software. However, the intent of the word “personal” is not clear. Maybe Daniel himself could clarify?

Stan C.

Because we can’t make AppleScript apps for Mac App Store by using it.
That’s all.

If we make AppleScript with Frameworks, we can make Mac App Store app with Frameworks.

Which leads inevitably to the larger problem of a moribund language abandoned by those in control of the system of which it’s an almost completely neglected part.

So many of the technical discussions here can be regarded as details of the decline and fall of macOS automation. Forgive the digression, but has any organized group ever make a serious attempt to address the larger problem? AppleScript has been in conspicuous decline for more years than I can easily recall.

The question of keychain access has nothing to do with AppleScript and whether the language is maintained or not!
I have posted a Sample above with which you can create, read and delete a keychain entry with applescript. You can also access other entries for which the process has access:

set keychain to current application's DTKeychain's sharedInstance()
set query to current application's DTKeychainGenericPassword's keychainItemQueryForService:(missing value) account:(missing value)
set {itemList, errorRes} to my (keychain's keychainItemsMatchingQuery:query |error|:(reference))
repeat with i from 0 to (itemList's |count|()) - 1
	set theItem to (itemList's objectAtIndex:i)
	try
		log ("Service name: " & theItem's service as text) & " - Account name: " & theItem's account as text
	end try
end repeat

… and then even retrieve the passwords for the respective entry:

set keychain to current application's DTKeychain's sharedInstance()
set query to current application's DTKeychainGenericPassword's keychainItemQueryForService:("Service name") account:("Account name")
set {itemList, errorRes} to my (keychain's keychainItemsMatchingQuery:query |error|:(reference))
if itemList's |count|() > 0 then
	set pass to itemList's firstObject()
	if my (keychain's retrieveSecuredDataForKeychainItem:pass |error|:(missing value)) then
		set thePassword to pass's |password| as text
	end if
end if

You can’t do more with other languages, because not every process (or app) has access to every password in the keychain, and that’s a good thing.

@furbies:
Which user name and password do you want to retrieve from the keychain? One you have stored yourself with your applet? - That works (see the Sample). Or the system user name and password? - That would be bad if that were possible.

Dirk

I’m needing an admin user & password because my little Applet needs to be able to de/activate the network interfaces as part of it’s little one trick usefulness.

So at the moment, I’m relying on the end user creating a password item in the login keychain, and in it, they store a admin user & password and then when they run my little Applet it requests access to the password item, and the user needs to give it elsewise the Applet can’t do it’s trick. This way my Applet doesn’t need to really know the user/pass in that the Applet doesn’t need to save the user/pass outside the keychain, and only uses it to do it’s trick, and the Applet doesn’t itself access the internet so it’s not “phoning home” any info…