Export images embedded in PDF

I have a bunch of PDFs containing scans, one image per page.
They have been scanned in RVB, A4 format, 300ppi.
I want to export each image in JPG, grayscale, 150ppi.

Here’s all I’m able to do:

use framework "Foundation"
use framework "AppKit"
use framework "Quartz"
use scripting additions

set folderURL to current application's NSURL's fileURLWithPath:"someFolder"
set pdfURL to current application's NSURL's fileURLWithPath:"somePDF"

set theDoc to current application's PDFDocument's alloc()'s initWithURL:pdfURL
set pageCount to (theDoc's pageCount())

repeat with iPage from 1 to pageCount
	set thePage to (theDoc's pageAtIndex:(iPage - 1))
	set theData to (thePage's dataRepresentation())
	set theImage to (current application's NSImage's alloc()'s initWithData:theData)
	set theTiff to theImage's TIFFRepresentation()
	set theBitmap to (current application's NSBitmapImageRep's imageRepWithData:theTiff)
	set theJpeg to (theBitmap's representationUsingType:(current application's NSJPEGFileType) |properties|:{NSImageCompressionFactor:0.6, NSImageProgressive:false})
	set destURL to (folderURL's URLByAppendingPathComponent:("test" & iPage & ".jpg"))
	set theResult to (theJpeg's writeToURL:destURL atomically:true)
end repeat

:wink:

It can probably be done more efficiently than this, but it should get you started:

use framework "Foundation"
use framework "AppKit"
use framework "Quartz"
use scripting additions

set folderURL to current application's |NSURL|'s fileURLWithPath:"/Users/shane/Desktop/"
set pdfURL to current application's |NSURL|'s fileURLWithPath:"/Users/shane/Desktop/Test.pdf"

set theDoc to current application's PDFDocument's alloc()'s initWithURL:pdfURL
set pageCount to (theDoc's pageCount())

repeat with iPage from 1 to pageCount
	set thePage to (theDoc's pageAtIndex:(iPage - 1))
	set theData to (thePage's dataRepresentation())
	set pdfImageRep to (current application's NSPDFImageRep's imageRepWithData:theData)
	set theBounds to pdfImageRep's |bounds|()
	set aWidth to (current application's NSWidth(theBounds)) / 72 * 150
	set aHeight to (current application's NSHeight(theBounds)) / 72 * 150

-- resize by creating new bitmap and drawing into it
	set newBitmap to (current application's NSBitmapImageRep's alloc()'s initWithBitmapDataPlanes:(missing value) pixelsWide:aWidth pixelsHigh:aHeight bitsPerSample:8 samplesPerPixel:4 hasAlpha:true isPlanar:false colorSpaceName:(current application's NSCalibratedRGBColorSpace) bytesPerRow:0 bitsPerPixel:0)
	current application's NSGraphicsContext's saveGraphicsState()
	set theContext to (current application's NSGraphicsContext's graphicsContextWithBitmapImageRep:newBitmap)
	(current application's NSGraphicsContext's setCurrentContext:theContext)
	-- set the active color to white
	current application's NSColor's whiteColor()'s |set|()
	-- fill the bitmapImageRep with white
	current application's NSRectFill({origin:{x:0, y:0}, |size|:{width:aWidth, height:aHeight}})
	(theContext's setShouldAntialias:true)
	(theContext's setImageInterpolation:(current application's NSImageInterpolationDefault))
	(pdfImageRep's drawInRect:(current application's NSMakeRect(0, 0, aWidth, aHeight)) fromRect:(current application's NSZeroRect) operation:(current application's NSCompositeSourceOver) fraction:(1.0) respectFlipped:true hints:(missing value))
	current application's NSGraphicsContext's restoreGraphicsState()

-- convert to greyscale
	set targetSpace to current application's NSColorSpace's deviceGrayColorSpace()
	set newBitmap to (newBitmap's bitmapImageRepByConvertingToColorSpace:targetSpace renderingIntent:(current application's NSColorRenderingIntentDefault))
	-- save
	set theJpeg to (newBitmap's representationUsingType:(current application's NSJPEGFileType) |properties|:{NSImageCompressionFactor:0.6, NSImageProgressive:false})
	set destURL to (folderURL's URLByAppendingPathComponent:("test" & iPage & ".jpg"))
	set theResult to (theJpeg's writeToURL:destURL atomically:true)
end repeat

Thank you, Shane.

After 2 minor changes (rendering to saturation and interpolation to hight) the script is perfect.
And so fast!

Is it possible to unembed the color profile?
And to sharpen up the image?

You could try setting the colorSpace property, or perhaps using genericGrayColorSpace.

I suspect you would need to use Core Image. Other than that, you can try changing interpolation.

You mean something like that?

set theJpeg to (newBitmap's representationUsingType:(current application's NSJPEGFileType) |properties|:{NSImageCompressionFactor:0.6, NSImageProgressive:false, colorSpace:missing value})

I had a look at Apple’s Reference page: too hard for me!
Anyway, I can do without it.

Thanks again!

Not exactly, although you could try that approach, setting a value of missing value for NSImageColorSyncProfileData.

I was thinking of setting the colorSpace property of the NSBitmapImageRep.

Try inserting something like this before the jpeg part:

set theCIImage to (current application's CIImage's alloc()'s initWithBitmapImageRep:newBitmap)
	set theCIFilter to (current application's CIFilter's filterWithName:"CIUnsharpMask" withInputParameters:{inputRadius:5.0, inputIntensity:0.9}) -- your values of choice
	(theCIFilter's setValue:theCIImage forKey:(current application's kCIInputImageKey))
	set theCIImage to (theCIFilter's valueForKey:(current application's kCIOutputImageKey))
	set newBitmap to (current application's NSBitmapImageRep's alloc()'s initWithCIImage:theCIImage)

In fact, you could probably do the scaling and conversion to greyscale with CIFilters too:

set theCIImage to (current application's CIImage's alloc()'s initWithBitmapImageRep:newBitmap)
	set theCIFilter to (current application's CIFilter's filterWithName:"CIUnsharpMask" withInputParameters:{inputRadius:5.0, inputIntensity:0.9, inputImage:theCIImage}) -- your values of choice
	set theCIImage to (theCIFilter's valueForKey:(current application's kCIOutputImageKey))
	set theCIFilter to (current application's CIFilter's filterWithName:"CIPhotoEffectMono" withInputParameters:{inputImage:theCIImage})
	set newBitmap to (current application's NSBitmapImageRep's alloc()'s initWithCIImage:theCIImage)

Awesome!
I’m so grateful!