Does SD6 Find RegEx Support Case Change, & How To Get Capture Groups as a List

Does SD6 Find RegEx Support Case Change?
Running Script Debugger 6.0.5 (6A205) on macOS 10.11.6.

I could not get any of this to work. It’s probably me, since I’m still much of a RegEx novice.

Replacement Text Case Conversion

Some applications can insert the text matched by the regex or by capturing groups converted to uppercase or lowercase. The Just Great Software applications allow you to prefix the matched text token \0 and the backreferences \1 through \99 with a letter that changes the case of the inserted text. U is for uppercase, L for lowercase, I for initial capitals (first letter of each word is uppercase, rest is lowercase), and F for first capital (first letter in the inserted text is uppercase, rest is lowercase). The letter only affects the case of the backreference that it is part of.

When the regex (?i)(Helló) (Wórld) matches HeLlÓ WóRlD
the replacement text \U1 \L2 \I0 \F0
becomes HELLÓ wórld Helló Wórld Helló wórld.

I edited my script in BBEdit and it worked fine.

Problems Solved 2017-11-22 22:56 GMT-0600

This has been a great thread, with two great solutions to two different problems.

Unfortunately, while SD6 does NOT support case change in its Find RegEx, the question became the genesis for two other solutions.

Solution #1 – Change Case in RegEx

@NigelGarvey has given us a solution for Changing Case in an ASObjC RegEx

Solution #2 – Get Capture Group List from ASObjC RegEx

@ShaneStanley has given us yet another great script:
How To return Capture Groups as items in a List

Shane gave us two scripts, which I merged and added some error trapping (with more help from Shane, to produce this final (hopefully) script:
Get Match and Capture Groups for First or All Matches using ASObjC

My most sincere thanks to both of you.
I hope others will make great use of these scripts. I know I will.

Script Debugger uses the ICU search engine, which doesn’t support replacement case-conversion.

Here’s a crude implementer of that kind of regex. As it stands, the back references in the replacement template must be case-changing ones, but I think the code could be modified to handle straight ones.

use AppleScript version "2.4" -- Yosemite (10.10) or later
use framework "Foundation"
use scripting additions

main()

on main()
	set theText to "HeLlÓ WóRlD"
	set theRegexPattern to "(?i)(Helló) (Wórld)"
	set theReplacementTemplate to "$U1 $L2 $I0 $F0 $0"
	getEditedText(theText, theRegexPattern, theReplacementTemplate)

(* -- Or from Script Debugger's script menu:
	tell application "Script Debugger"
		set userInput to paragraphs of text returned of (display dialog "Please enter an ICU-style regex pattern and replacement template, in that order, on separate lines. Back references in the template may include a case-change code (\"U\", \"L\", \"I\", or \"F\") between the \"$\" and capture group number:" default answer linefeed buttons {"Cancel", "OK"} cancel button 1 with title "Find and change case …" with icon note)
	end tell
	if (((count userInput) is not 2) or (userInput contains {""})) then error number -128

set {theRegexPattern, theReplacementTemplate} to userInput
	tell application "Script Debugger" to set theText to source text of front document
	set editedText to getEditedText(theText, theRegexPattern, theReplacementTemplate)
	tell application "Script Debugger" to set source text of front document to editedText
	*)
end main

on getEditedText(theText, theRegexPattern, theReplacementTemplate)
	set |⌘| to current application
	set stringBeingEdited to |⌘|'s class "NSMutableString"'s stringWithString:(theText)
	set theRegexPattern to |⌘|'s class "NSString"'s stringWithString:(theRegexPattern)
	set theReplacementTemplate to |⌘|'s class "NSString"'s stringWithString:(theReplacementTemplate)

-- Get the input regex's matches in the input text.
	set mainRegex to |⌘|'s class "NSRegularExpression"'s regularExpressionWithPattern:(theRegexPattern) options:(0) |error|:(missing value)
	set mainRegexMatches to mainRegex's matchesInString:(stringBeingEdited) options:(0) range:({0, stringBeingEdited's |length|()})
	set mainRegexMatchCount to (count mainRegexMatches)
	-- Act on any found.
	if (mainRegexMatchCount > 0) then
		-- Use another regex to find any back-references in the replacement template! (Unescaped dollar sign, optional case code, 1 or 2 digits.)
		set backReferenceRegex to |⌘|'s class "NSRegularExpression"'s regularExpressionWithPattern:("(?<!\\\\)(\\$[ULIF]?)([0-9]{1,2})") options:(0) |error|:(missing value)
		set backReferenceMatchesInTemplate to (backReferenceRegex's matchesInString:(theReplacementTemplate) options:(0) range:({0, theReplacementTemplate's |length|()})) as list
		-- If there are any, get their ranges in the template, their "prefices" ("$" and any case-change code), and capture group numbers.
		set backReferenceCount to (count backReferenceMatchesInTemplate)
		if (backReferenceCount > 0) then
			set numberOfCaptureGroupsInMainRegex to (mainRegexMatches's firstObject()'s numberOfRanges()) - 1
			repeat with i from 1 to backReferenceCount
				set thisBackReferenceMatch to item i of backReferenceMatchesInTemplate
				set backReferenceRange to thisBackReferenceMatch's range()
				set backReferencePrefix to (theReplacementTemplate's substringWithRange:(thisBackReferenceMatch's rangeAtIndex:(1))) as text
				set backReferenceCaptureGroupNumber to (theReplacementTemplate's substringWithRange:(thisBackReferenceMatch's rangeAtIndex:(2))) as text
				-- Make adjustments if it seems that the capture group number obtained includes what should be a following a literal digit.
				if (((count backReferenceCaptureGroupNumber) is 2) and ((backReferenceCaptureGroupNumber begins with "0") or ((backReferenceCaptureGroupNumber as integer) > numberOfCaptureGroupsInMainRegex))) then
					set backReferenceCaptureGroupNumber to backReferenceCaptureGroupNumber div 10 -- ie. the first digit as integer.
					set backReferenceRange to {backReferenceRange's location(), (backReferenceRange's |length|()) - 1} -- Exclude the second digit.
				else
					set backReferenceCaptureGroupNumber to backReferenceCaptureGroupNumber as integer
				end if
				set item i of backReferenceMatchesInTemplate to {backReferenceRange, backReferencePrefix, backReferenceCaptureGroupNumber}
			end repeat
		end if

-- Perform the specified substitutions in the main text.
		repeat with i from mainRegexMatchCount to 1 by -1
			set thisRegexMatch to item i of mainRegexMatches
			-- The replacement string for each match of the main regex is derived from a copy of the replacement template.
			set matchReplacementString to theReplacementTemplate's mutableCopy()
			-- If the template contains any back references, replace each with the text to which it refers in the current match.
			repeat with j from backReferenceCount to 1 by -1
				-- Get this back reference's range in the template, its "prefix", and its capture group number.
				set {backReferenceRange, backReferencePrefix, backReferenceCaptureGroupNumber} to item j of backReferenceMatchesInTemplate
				-- Get the string matched by the capture group and apply any specified case change to it.
				set rangeMatchedByCaptureGroup to (thisRegexMatch's rangeAtIndex:(backReferenceCaptureGroupNumber))
				set stringMatchedByCaptureGroup to (stringBeingEdited's substringWithRange:(rangeMatchedByCaptureGroup))
				if (backReferencePrefix ends with "U") then
					set stringMatchedByCaptureGroup to stringMatchedByCaptureGroup's uppercaseString()
				else if (backReferencePrefix ends with "L") then
					set stringMatchedByCaptureGroup to stringMatchedByCaptureGroup's lowercaseString()
				else if (backReferencePrefix ends with "I") then
					set stringMatchedByCaptureGroup to stringMatchedByCaptureGroup's capitalizedString()
				else if (backReferencePrefix ends with "F") then
					set character1Length to (stringMatchedByCaptureGroup's rangeOfComposedCharacterSequenceAtIndex:(0))'s |length|()
					set initialCapital to (stringMatchedByCaptureGroup's substringToIndex:(character1Length))'s uppercaseString()
					set stringMatchedByCaptureGroup to (initialCapital's stringByAppendingString:((stringMatchedByCaptureGroup's substringFromIndex:(character1Length))'s lowercaseString()))
				end if
				-- Replace the back reference in the replacement string with the possibly modified capture group text.
				tell matchReplacementString to replaceCharactersInRange:(backReferenceRange) withString:(stringMatchedByCaptureGroup)
			end repeat
			-- When all the back references have been so replaced, delete any escapement and replace the match in the main text with the completed replacement string.
			tell matchReplacementString to replaceOccurrencesOfString:("\\\\(.)") withString:("$1") options:(|⌘|'s NSRegularExpressionSearch) range:({0, its |length|()})
			tell stringBeingEdited to replaceCharactersInRange:(thisRegexMatch's range()) withString:(matchReplacementString)
		end repeat
	end if

-- When all the pattern matches have been replaced, return the edited text.
	return stringBeingEdited as text
end getEditedText
2 Likes

Nigel,

You might want to check out NSString’s -capitalizedString method.

Aha! I’d thought of that but had got it into my head there was no such thing! :roll_eyes: I’ve now edited the script above, but I’ll check it again in the morning when/if I’m properly awake. :wink:

Thanks!

1 Like

OK. I’ve tidied up the code a bit and modified it so that it also handles back references not specifying case changes. To make it more ICU-like, back references in the replacement template must now be prefixed with dollar signs instead of with backslashes. If a back reference contains an apparent two-digit group number which is more than the number of capture groups, the number’s interpreted as being a one-digit group number followed by a literal digit character. Backslashes can now be used in the replacement template to indicate literal characters if required.

1 Like

Nigel, many thanks for your script. It is truly amazing!.

@NigelGarvey and @ShaneStanley:

I have question about returning Capture Groups using ASObjC RegEx in general.
The above statement returns the CGs concatenated in a single string.
How can I return CGs as items in a List, as in:
{$0, $1, $2}

Here is a handler for ASObjC RegEx, written by @ShaneStanley and @ccstone, that I have used. It is here where I’d like to get the CGs in a list.

on regexFindWithCapture:thePattern fromString:theString resultTemplate:templateStr
  set theString to current application's NSString's stringWithString:theString
  set theRegEx to current application's NSRegularExpression's regularExpressionWithPattern:thePattern options:0 |error|:(missing value)
  set theFinds to theRegEx's matchesInString:theString options:0 range:{0, theString's |length|()}
  set theResult to current application's NSMutableArray's array()

repeat with aFind in theFinds
    set foundString to (theRegEx's replacementStringForResult:aFind inString:theString |offset|:0 template:templateStr)
    (theResult's addObject:foundString)
  end repeat

return theResult as list

end regexFindWithCapture:fromString:resultTemplate:

Here are two options. The first finds only the first match in the string, and returns a list of the contents of all capture groups for that match. The second finds all matches, so the result is a list of lists.

on regexFindCaptures:thePattern inString:theString
 	set {theRegEx, theError} to current application's NSRegularExpression's regularExpressionWithPattern:thePattern options:0 |error|:(reference)
	if theRegEx is missing value then error theError's localizedDescription() as text
	set theFind to theRegEx's firstMatchInString:theString options:0 range:{0, theString's |length|()}
	set groupCount to theFind's numberOfRanges()
	repeat with i from 0 to (groupCount - 1)
		set theRange to (aFind's rangeAtIndex:i)
		if |length| of theRange = 0 then
			(theResult's addObject:"")
		else
			(theResult's addObject:(theString's substringWithRange:theRange))
		end if
	end repeat
	return theResult as list
end regexFindCaptures:inString:

And:

on regexFindAllCaptures:thePattern inString:theString
 	set {theRegEx, theError} to current application's NSRegularExpression's regularExpressionWithPattern:thePattern options:0 |error|:(reference)
	if theRegEx is missing value then error theError's localizedDescription() as text
	set theFinds to theRegEx's matchesInString:theString options:0 range:{0, theString's |length|()}
		set subResult to current application's NSMutableArray's array()
		set groupCount to aFind's numberOfRanges()
						(subResult's addObject:"")
					else
						(subResult's addObject:(theString's substringWithRange:theRange))
					end if
				end repeat
		(theResult's addObject:subResult)
	end repeat
	return theResult as list
end regexFindAllCaptures:inString:

Edited to make changes covered below.

Many thanks, Shane. This is perfect! :+1:

Here’s a demo/test case for anyone who is interested:

use scripting additions

set sourceStr to " 2016-01-11 and some text and  2017-02-22"
set reFind to "(\\d{4})-(\\d{2})-(\\d{2})"

set reResults to my regexFindAllCaptures:reFind inString:sourceStr

-->{{"2016-01-11", "2016", "01", "11"}, {"2017-02-22", "2017", "02", "22"}}

on regexFindAllCaptures:thePattern inString:theString
  set theRegEx to current application's NSRegularExpression's regularExpressionWithPattern:thePattern options:0 |error|:(missing value)
      (subResult's addObject:(theString's substringWithRange:(aFind's rangeAtIndex:i)))
    end repeat
  end repeat
  return theResult as list
end regexFindAllCaptures:inString:

OK, thanks again Shane.
Here is my merge and refactor of Shane’s handlers into one handler.
I added a bit of error handling.

If anyone sees issues or has suggestions, please post.

use scripting additions

property LF : linefeed

set sourceStr to " 2016-01-11 and some text and  2017-02-22"
set reFind to "(\\d{4})-(\\d{2})-(\\d{2})"

set reFirstMatch to my regexFindCaptures:reFind inString:sourceStr findAll:false
-->{"2016-01-11", "2016", "01", "11"}

set reAllMatches to my regexFindCaptures:reFind inString:sourceStr findAll:true
-->{{"2016-01-11", "2016", "01", "11"}, {"2017-02-22", "2017", "02", "22"}}

--~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
on regexFindCaptures:thePattern inString:theString findAll:theFindAll
  ----------------------------------------------------------
  -- Find Match & Return Match with All Capture Groups as list
  -- if theFindAll is true, then Find ALL matches (Global) & return as list of lists
  --      else Find FIRST match, & return simple list of match & capture groups
  -- If NO matches, return empty list {}
  -- This handler is a merge and refactor of the two handlers provided by @ShaneStanley
  --  (http://forum.latenightsw.com//t/does-sd6-find-regex-support-case-change/816/8)
  --
  -- All errors are mine.

local theFinds, theResult, subResult, groupCount

try

--------------------------------------------------
    if (theFindAll) then ### FIND ALL MATCHES ###
      -------------------------------------------------

(subResult's addObject:(theString's substringWithRange:(aFind's rangeAtIndex:i)))
        end repeat

end repeat -- theFinds

--------------------------------------------  
    else ### FIND FIRST MATCH ###
      -------------------------------------------

set theFind to theRegEx's firstMatchInString:theString options:0 range:{0, theString's |length|()}

(theResult's addObject:(theString's substringWithRange:(theFind's rangeAtIndex:i)))
      end repeat

end if -- (theFindAll)

on error errMsg number errNum
    if (errNum = -1708) then
      set errMsg to "ASObjC RegEx ERROR #" & errNum & LF ¬
        & "Most likely due to invalid RegEx Pattern:" & LF ¬
        & thePattern & LF & LF ¬
        & "ASObjC Error: " & errMsg

set the clipboard to errMsg
      error errMsg

end if
  end try

return theResult as list
end regexFindCaptures:inString:findAll:

You can actually trap directly for that. Change this:

To this:

The other place it could go wrong is if there’s no match for a particular group. You could also catch that by changing this:

(theResult's addObject:(theString's substringWithRange:(theFind's rangeAtIndex:i)))

to:

set theRange to theFind's rangeAtIndex:i
        if |length| of theRange > 0 then -- skip if not found
        end if

OK, thanks for the suggestions/updates.

Two questions:

1. How can it have a full match if one of the groups do not match?
    • Can you please give me an example of this?
  2. I’m getting unexpected results (before changes to the script) when I change the input data to this:
set sourceStr to " 2016-01-11 and some text and  2017-02A-22"
set reFind to "(\\d{4})-(\\d{2})(A)?-(\\d{2})"

I added a optional CG #3 of (A), and then added the “A” to the 2nd date.
RESULTS:

reFirstMatch: {"2016-01-11", "2016", "01"}
reAllMatches: {}

Based on RegEx101.com I should have gotten this:

Am I doing something wrong?

Followng this pattern for the regexFindCaptures for first match, I made this change to the find all matches block:

###      (subResult's addObject:(theString's substringWithRange:(aFind's rangeAtIndex:i)))

if |length| of theRange > 0 then -- skip if not found
          end if

end repeat

Seems to work OK for successful finds. Not sure when it is supposed to go through the if block.

Group 3 in Match 1 of your example is just such a case. Before my fix, this resulted in no results for the second case.

However, my proposed “fix” is just skipping the empty case, whereas it should really be inserting an empty string for it, so any others are still in the correct order. So the relevant part should be:

else
					end if
				end repeat

(The problem stems from the fact that the range for Group 3 in Match 1 of your example is returned as {location:0, length:NSNotFound}, and NSNotFound is too big an integer for AppleScript to cope with.)

OK. Great!!! It works perfectly. I believe we have a gold release candidate (unless you find more issues :wink: ) :+1:

Here’s the script with all of the changes Shane has provided:

use scripting additions

property LF : linefeed

set sourceStr to " 2016-01-11 and some text and  2017-02A-22"
set reFind to "(\\d{4})-(\\d{2})(A)?-(\\d{2})"

set reFirstMatch to my regexFindCaptures:reFind inString:sourceStr findAll:false
-->{"2016-01-11", "2016", "01", "", "11"}

set reAllMatches to my regexFindCaptures:reFind inString:sourceStr findAll:true
-->{{"2016-01-11", "2016", "01", "", "11"}, {"2017-02A-22", "2017", "02", "A", "22"}}

--~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
on regexFindCaptures:thePattern inString:theString findAll:theFindAll
  ----------------------------------------------------------
  -- Find Match & Return Match with All Capture Groups as list
  -- if theFindAll is true, then Find ALL matches (Global) & return as list of lists
  --      else Find FIRST match, & return simple list of match & capture groups
  -- If NO matches, return empty list {}
  -- If an Optional Capture Group is not found/matched, it is returned as empty string ""
  -- This handler is a merge and refactor of the two handlers provided by @ShaneStanley
  --  (http://forum.latenightsw.com//t/does-sd6-find-regex-support-case-change/816/8)
  --
  -- All errors are mine.

local theFinds, theResult, subResult, groupCount

try

if theRegEx is missing value then error ("Invalid RegEx Pattern." & LF & theError's localizedDescription() as text)

--------------------------------------------------
    if (theFindAll) then ### FIND ALL MATCHES ###
      -------------------------------------------------

--- Optional Capture Group was NOT Matched ---
          else
            --- Capture Group was Matched ---
          end if
        end repeat

end repeat -- theFinds

--------------------------------------------  
    else ### FIND FIRST MATCH ###
      -------------------------------------------

set theRange to (theFind's rangeAtIndex:i)
          --- Optional Capture Group was NOT Matched ---
          (theResult's addObject:"")
        else
          --- Capture Group was Matched ---
        end if

end repeat

end if -- (theFindAll)

on error errMsg number errNum
    set errMsg to "ASObjC RegEx ERROR #" & errNum & LF & errMsg

set the clipboard to errMsg
    display dialog errMsg with title (name of me) with icon stop
    error errMsg

end try

return theResult as list
end regexFindCaptures:inString:findAll:

Since I can’t pick more than one post as the solution to my original question, I have updated my OP to list these posts.

I’ve made some further changes to my script in post 3 which fix a couple of bugs, move the analysis of the replacement template to before the main repeat, correct some comments and text which should have been changed in the previous update, and rename a handler and some variables to try and make it clearer what they represent!