Compatibility with macOS Sequioa

Mark or Shane,

What information can you give us about Script Debugger 8.0.8 compatibility with macOS 15 Sequoia? There are a few reports of problems here on the forum, but some are for beta versions of the OS. I see that Piyomaru has reported two issues with macOS 14.7 but I believe they could be somewhat isolated configurations.

SD 8.0.8 crash on macOS 15.1 beta 4 (Japanese User environment).

As a minor data point, I installed macOS 15.1 beta 4 on my MacBook Pro (specs below) because it isn’t my primary computer. Prior to installing I followed the advice Mark had posted on the forum:
For those of you experiencing a crash launch Script Debugger, please issue these commands from Terminal:

rm ~/Library/Preferences/.2xbG4@@Ght01%!020#u
rm ~/Library/Preferences/.2xbZ4@@Ght01%!010#u
rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/.1@xX4D@yyt02"!2&0#a
rm ~/Library/Application\ Support/.1@xX4D@yytT2"!2&1#a
Two of the files (one in each folder) did exist.
I have used Script Debugger 8.0.8 for only about one hour using AppleScriptObjC scripts. So far there have not been any problems.

Installed macOS 15 yesterday. No problems with SD 8.0.8. so far.

1 Like

I removed these files then SD 8.0.8 launched on macOS 15.1 beta 4 with Mac mini M1.

I can upload my AppleScript, if necessary, but, it is currently getting the attached AS error when my wife tries to run it from the script panel in inDesign 2024. She’s on a Mac Studio running Sequois 15.0.

The same script loaded in my ID 2024 on my M2 MacBook Air running Sequoia 15.0 runs without error.

Any ideas, anyone?

Does it run in Script Debugger or Script Editor on the Mac Studio?

Shane, thanks for the idea of checking to see if the script ran in Script Editor. (My wife doesn’t have SD on her machine).

It got me to look at the script file in the ID scripts folder. It was an alias, for some reason! Maybe it happened when she migrated to the new Mac Studio from her old iMac.

Replacing it with the actual script file, it ran as it always has!

We design books, and my idea in building the AS script back in 2017 was to automate the loading into iD of the manuscript for the book into linked text frames which are created by the script out on the pasteboard (the area of the document window out beyond the page boundaries) next to every new document page the script creates. It just creates new pages until it runs out of manuscript text.

She cuts/pastes text from the text frame visible next to the current document page. Then she deletes that text frame, which pushes the remaining manuscript text into the next text frame next to the next document page.

The reason she doesn’t just load the whole manuscript at once, is that she has to do a lot of re-formatting with different paragraph styles, character styles, chapter titles, subheads, footnotes, endnotes, and images, all in order to properly copy fit each page as it’s created. And having the next chunk of manuscript handy out in the pasteboard right next to the current book document page saves her a lot of time in building the pages.

Question: Do you see Adobe and Apple continuing their support of AppleScript in this new “Sensei Era”, Apple Intelligence, and Apple Silicon?

I haven’t done a lot of AS scipting, but those that I have built have proven to be very key to our company’s production flow.

Honestly, I have no idea. Apple tea leaves are near impossible to read.