Catalina Indesign 'Place' error - Missing required parameter 'file name' for method 'place'

I am having an error on a legacy script in InDesign on Catalina, on code that works in previous versions. The error is:

Missing required parameter 'file name' for method 'place'.

and the relevant code is:

set tokenFile to ((path to desktop folder) as text) & "artwork.pdf"
tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2019"
	activate
	tell document 1
		set bsfFrame to make rectangle with properties {geometric bounds:{1, 1, 10, 10}, name:"bsfFrame"}
		set bsfFrame to page item "bsfFrame"
		place file tokenFile on bsfFrame with properties {label:"bsfGraphic"} -- Errors here
	end tell
end tell

My original code was ‘place alias’ instead of ‘place file’ but that does not seem to make a difference. ‘File name’ is not a valid key form, so the error itself doesn’t make sense, at least to my understanding. I’m using Indesign 2019 on older OS versions, so it appears to be a change in Catalina.

What am I missing?

Try using this:

set tokenFile to ((path to desktop folder as text) & "artwork.pdf") as «class furl»
tell application "Adobe InDesign 2019"
	activate
	tell document 1
		set bsfFrame to make rectangle with properties {geometric bounds:{1, 1, 10, 10}, name:"bsfFrame"}
		set bsfFrame to page item "bsfFrame"
		place tokenFile on bsfFrame with properties {label:"bsfGraphic"} -- Errors here
	end tell
end tell

That works, Shane. Thanks!

I also discovered that “place (tokenFile as alias) on bsfFrame” also works. I did not realize there was a difference in “alias tokenFile” vs “(tokenFile as alias)”

These issues with specifiers seem to be cropping up a lot under Catalina. Coercion instead often works, as you can see, using «class furl» outside app tell blocks should be reasonably future-proof.