Can't sign enhanced applet from Script Debugger - error with Sparkle

I just tried to modify a script I’ve been editing/signing for months and got an error from Script Debugger when I tried to save it.

Code signing failed.

/Users/nicholas/Library/Scripts/script name.app: replacing existing signature
/Users/nicholas/Library/Scripts/script name.app: bundle format is ambiguous (could be app or framework)
In subcomponent: /Users/nicholas/Library/Scripts/script name.app/Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework
(1)

Thankfully, I was able to use SD Notary to both sign and notarize the script.

15:03:10.765: Checking if Apple ID, key for app-specific password in login keychain, and team provider are in sync...
15:03:12.197: Creating working copy...
15:03:12.365: Clearing extended attributes...
15:03:12.919: Examining contents...
15:03:13.889: Signing '.../Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Autoupdate.app/Contents/MacOS/fileop'...
15:03:14.401: Signing '.../Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Autoupdate.app'...
15:03:14.813: Signing '.../Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Versions/A'...
15:03:15.195: Signing '.../Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Resources/Autoupdate.app/Contents/MacOS/fileop'...
15:03:15.534: Signing '.../Contents/Frameworks/Sparkle.framework/Resources/Autoupdate.app'...
15:03:15.887: Signing '.../Contents/Script Debugger.plist'...
15:03:16.225: Signing main file '~/Library/Scripts/<script name> - Working/<script name>.app'...
15:03:16.593: Making zip archive...
15:03:17.245: Uploading file to Apple for notarizing. This can take a while, depending on file size, upload speed, and any other uploads in progress. Do not interrupt this process...
15:04:02.643: Upload result: No errors uploading '/Users/nicholas/Library/Scripts/<script name> - Working/<script name>.zip'.
15:04:02.646: Checking for the result of Apple's process. This usually takes several minutes, but could take even longer...
15:04:33.866: Awaiting result from Apple...
15:05:06.607: Awaiting result from Apple...
15:05:41.610: Awaiting result from Apple...
15:06:19.382: Awaiting result from Apple...
15:06:51.506: Awaiting result from Apple...
15:07:23.339: The submission has been notarized and will now be stapled...
15:07:24.175: Checking result with spctl...
15:07:24.553: Stapling succeeded.

Any idea what SD is doing differently from SD Notary? I don’t actually have Sparkle support so I’d be happy just to get rid of it but I can’t see a way to opt out.

The traditional codesigning done by Script Debugger and Script Editor doesn’t pass muster with Gatekeeper in Mojave and later, and is therefore largely pointless at this stage. Use SD Notary.

Maybe one of the point releases of Mojave broke it then? I had no problems with the built-in Script Debugger signing of the same exact script, minus one tiny change to add a conditional, a few months ago on Mojave. (I have not yet upgraded to Catalina.) It might have just been an accident that it ever worked.

Seems the “code signing” popup should be disabled or otherwise unavailable if it isn’t expected to work!

Yes, Gatekeeper’s behavior has changed — I think the changes began in 10.4.5.

The problem with disabling the menu is that there are still people happily using Script Debugger under versions of macOS where it can still make sense (they can’t notarize).

The area is still one of some flux in terms of what Apple proposes to do. Their ultimate wish — to have all applications signed —doesn’t fit well with how (and by whom) AppleScript is typically used.