Can't edit clippings?

It looks like the default clippings can’t be edited. They also seem to be stored in a different folder.

This is an issue for a couple reasons.

First, opening and editing the default clippings is how I learned to work with place holders (they’re barely mentioned in Help). But now I can’t look at the source text at all.

Second, there are some of the default clippings I like, but most, not so much. My preference is to populate the clippings menu with mostly my clippings, and a few of the default clippings, in the order I choose. It looks like I no longer have this option.

Unless I’m missing something?

–>Script Debugger 8.0 (8A27) on OSX 10.15.7

Yes you can. See Import Clippings in the Scripts menu. (This is the same as in Script Debugger 7.)

Import the ones you want. Go to General preferences and check Hide built-in clippings (it’s down near the bottom).

Thanks, an elegant solution.

Now, another question. I am trying to make a text substitution, out of this:

--DisplayDialog (with answer)
set [[template:dialogText]] to "[[template:]]"
set [[template:dialogTitle]] to "[[template:]]"
set [[template:defaultAnswer]] to  "[[template:]]"
set [[template:hiddenAnswer]] to [[template:false]]
set [[template:dialogButtons]] to {"Cancel","Skip","OK"}--{[[template:value1]], [[template:value2]], [[template:value3]]}
set [[template:defaultButton]] to [[template:custompicker:Default Button Number:1:2:3]]
set [[template:cancelButton]] to [[template:custompicker:Cancel Button Number:1:2:3]]
set [[template:dialogIcon]] to [[template:custompicker:Select Icon:caution:note:stop]]
set [[template:givingUpAfter]] to [[template:60]]
set [[template:dialogReply]] to ¬
	display dialog [[template:dialogText]] ¬
 	 with title [[template:dialogTitle]] ¬
	default answer [[template:defaultAnswer]] ¬
 	hidden answer [[template:hiddenAnswer]] ¬
 	buttons [[template:dialogButtons]] ¬
 	default button [[template:defaultButton]] ¬
 	cancel button [[template:cancelButton]] ¬
 	with icon [[template:dialogIcon]] ¬
 	giving up after [[template:givingUpAfter]]

But in the text substittuion editing window it looks like this:

set #~dialogText~# to "#~replace me~#"
set #~dialogTitle~# to "#~replace me~#"
set #~defaultAnswer~# to  "#~replace me~#"
set #~hiddenAnswer~# to #~false~#
set #~dialogButtons~# to {"Cancel","Skip","OK"}--{#~value1~#, #~value2~#, #~value3~#}
set #~defaultButton~# to #~custompicker:Default Button Number:1:2:3~#
set #~cancelButton~# to #~custompicker:Cancel Button Number:1:2:3~#
set #~dialogIcon~# to #~custompicker:Select Icon:caution:note:stop~#
set #~givingUpAfter~# to #~60~#
set #~dialogReply~# to ¬
	display dialog #~dialogText~# ¬
 	 with title #~dialogTitle~# ¬
	default answer #~defaultAnswer~# ¬
 	hidden answer #~hiddenAnswer~# ¬
 	buttons #~dialogButtons~# ¬
 	default button #~defaultButton~# ¬
 	cancel button #~cancelButton~# ¬
 	with icon #~dialogIcon~# ¬
 	giving up after #~givingUpAfter~#

(Although it still works. Those look like the same tags that you get from the dictionary.)

Holy crap, this is cool!

In the two examples I posted above, if you click the “Open in Script Debugger” button on each you get completely different results.

With the first you get the raw text, with all the brackets and such.

With the second it pops in exactly as if it were a from the clippings with all the expansion tags active.

That’s cool!

1 Like

So when you click the Open in Script Debugger button the choices for default button and cancel buttons don’t work the way a clipping does, but everything else does.

Some of the placeholders are handled in different places in the code, for fairly complex reasons, which is why you see some work in substitutions and others not.

Hmmm… On my work Mac the text substitution looks correct in the window. But it doesn’t work. (When I type the characters and hit return the characters don’t get replaced. Other text substitutions still work)

It seems like there’s a limit to how many characters you can have in a text substitution.

Is that fixable??

→ Script Debugger 7.0.13 (7A125)
→ Mac OS 10.11.6 (15G22010)

Now I get it, the placeholders that don’t work from the forum post are new to SD 8, of course they don’t work in SD7!

Script Debugger 8 allows you to create custom pickers within clippings.