Applet and Droplet Icons

This is a disturbing issue. I have a number of Applets and Droplets that I use copies of. Today any time I make a copy of any applet or droplet the Applet/droplet icon is replaced by a generic application icon. And the applet/droplet doesn’t work. I can open it in script debugger.

This is happening when I copy the files in the finder; or use file manager lib.

When it first happened I force quit finder, and that didn’t help. Then I rebooted and that didn’t help.

And here’s the other thing, where the issue started was when I opened and applet in SD, and did a “Save A Copy As” saving it as an applet. From that point on any applet or droplet copied has the generic icon.

Any suggestions? (I haven’t tried the enhanced applet yet, but that’s next.

Just did a save as from SD to an enhanced applet and same issue.

Just did a save of an applet from Script Editor and same thing

How are you adding the icon?

I’m not doing anything with the icons, just the icons that come when you save from SD or SE.

Try dragging them into /Applications and see what happens. Sounds like Launch Services is getting confused (not all that uncommon).

Not sure if I mentioned this but if I double click on one I get the message: “You can’t open the application “ImportMasterLogs” because it may be damaged or incomplete”

I tried dragging one to the applications folder and back and it looked the same. I tried double clicking it got the above message then Finder hung and I had to relaunch it. After relaunch that icon turned into a generic document icon. Double clicking it asked me to choose an application to open it with. I navigate to SD (after more hangs) and I get the message that SD can’t open it because it doesn’t appear to be a script.

SD Would open it before it changed to the generic document icon.

With Script Editor I drop the generic icon and I get this message: “Unable to read the dictionary of the application or extension because it is not scriptable”

I copied a couple of the apps to my laptop and the icon correctly displayed there.

So this seems to be an issue with my mac mini related, but it seems like it was triggered by doing the “save as a copy” of a droplet to a droplet.

Any suggestions on how to get back to normal?

First do a restart. Then do a search on the Net for how to rebuild the Launch Services database. It can be done via Terminal — although the command (actually its path) varies between versions of the OS, which is why I’m not posting it here.

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain u -domain s -domain l -v
–> Script Debugger 7.0.12 (7A112)
–> Mac OS 10.11.6 (15G22010)

Well so far, it looks like that did the trick, TYVM!

The question for me is was this issue triggered by ScriptDebugger?

An app can’t corrupt the Launch Services database. However, because Script Debugger (and Script Editor) create new apps, and because it’s pretty easy therefore to end up with things like multiple applets with the same UTI, and scripters tend not to store their applets in /Applications, it’s possible that script writers are more prone to this sort of thing. Possible.