Applescript script doesn't run in SD7

I have a rather involved AppleScript script which has run successfully in the past, but which now doesn’t run at all in SD7.

I’ve determined that the problem lies in a particular handler, as the script runs OK without it. But once I add it in, the script won’t even run—AT ALL! I click the run arrow, it grays out briefly, and then returns to normal. The timer never starts, and there are no error messages, nor any results.

The function of the script is to load data from a database tab-delimited text file data dump into an array variable, and then it tells Adobe inDesign CS6 to build pages from a master template, populating the pages with the data.

I’ve copied sections of a previous script into a new SD7 script file, running it each time to check. It runs OK up to the point of adding in one last handler. Then it just doesn’t run at all.

Any suggestions?

I’d very much invite a call from someone—maybe some sort of screen sharing session so that you can see my code.

I tried replying to your direct email to me, but your email address bounced. So I’ll try and resolve your problem here.

When you say it does not run, what exactly is happening?
Does the script compile?
What is the error message you are receiving?
Do you have debugging enabled?
Does the problem persist when debugging is disabled?

Thanks, Mark, for your reply.

I’m under the gun to get the book done and out for the customer, so I thought I’d try to revert to the previous version of SD, as the script did work in the past for previous editions of the book.

Happily, the script is indeed working as I type this reply.

I’ll get back to you with more details when I have time to do so, once we get this 1K+ page book delivered.

So, I ran the script successfully with SD6 on another Mac. That tells me that there’s something up with SD7.

I can send someone my script, but it controls three apps: Adobe inDesign CS6, QSA Toolworks Helix RADE 7.0.4, and Bare Bones Software BBEdit 12. I don’t think there’s a situation with any of those apps.

But, regarding the script, it’s long, and I couldn’t save it compiled for some reason with SD6, either.

Let’s start by gathering a little more information:

• When you say it does not run, what exactly is happening? What errors are you receiving?
  • Does the script compile?
  • What is the error message you are receiving?
  • Do you have debugging enabled?
  • Does the problem persist when debugging is disabled?

When I click on the run arrow in SD6 it grays out and the timer starts. In SD7 it doesn’t gray out and the timer doesn’t start. No errors appear, either. Debugging is not enabled.

The script DID RUN in SD7 until I added in the last handler. Then it didn’t run, as described in my previous reply.

When I said the script ran in SD6, that was the entire script, including the last handler.