ANNOUNCE: AppleScript Basic technics(28) Talking with applications

I wrote a new e-book about AppleScript execution’s aborting. PDF 35 pages (In Japanese).

AppleScript Basic Technique Collection is literally a series that summarizes the basic techniques of AppleScript.

This series is what I personally felt, “I wish there was a book like this”. When I started writing, the volume increased, and I restrained myself not to add too much. I would like to keep the number of pages compact.

I think that the book for true beginners is the “starting from now” series, and in order for scripters who have become able to write a little bit to be able to write more elaborate things, they should look back and check the “foundation”. This series is about the key points to do.

Even if you know all the AppleScript syntax and can actually write it, it doesn’t mean you can do anything with it. It is meaningless unless you can call various GUI applications or OS functions and automate some work.

Here, if you suddenly aim for a grand ambition such as “Let’s automate the whole work that we always do!”, we will fail. Operating a GUI application with a mouse or trackpad is slightly different from operating with AppleScript. It definitely takes some getting used to.

The first step is “conversation” with the application. Try interacting with it, see what happens, and then check the behavior of the application operation. Knowing how to interact is the know-how to clear the first barrier that is essential for automation.

table of contents

■ Writing AppleScript by interacting with the application [Beginner]

Interaction with the application is essential before writing
Interaction starts with specifying the correct application name
Reference: Applications with localized names
First Conversation “What’s your name?”
First Conversation: “What is your age?”

■ AppleScript written by interacting with the application [Daily conversation]

Investigate words that can be spoken in the AppleScript dictionary
Examine the selection showing the selected object
Look up the meaning of “selection”
Investigate selection behavior by selecting objects
Find out what “selection range” means
Select the table and investigate the behavior of the selection range
Selected object asks “what”
Selected object asks if

■ AppleScript written by interacting with the application [advanced conversation]

Can’t create objects on documents?
Can’t you create an audio clip? ①
Can’t you create an audio clip? ②

■ AppleScript written by interacting with the application [Encountering the unknown]

What commands can be executed on the target object? ①
What commands can be executed on the target object? ②
What commands can be executed on the target object? ②
“Dialogue” is essential for assembling automation scripts

The collection and topics of books you provide are awesome. Any plans to translate it to english, as its quite useless for the majority of the developers.

Can I have a clound-funding method to translate these books?

1 Like

Crowd funding seems like a good option. I’d buy the Mail book!

Have you looked into fiverr.com (or other freelance websites) for translation services? You’d want a translator with some knowledge of Applescript or, at least, one with technical documentation experience.

Stan C.

1 Like

Any news about the translation to english?

It depends on needs…

Ask, and it shall be given you…

This is the next…

Additional contents. AppleScript application to Mac App Store report

Here are my favourites. I highly appreciate it if you could provide the following books in English:

eSeminor: Cocoa Scripting Course Volume #9 Webkit – AppleScriptの穴 - Cocoa Scripting Course Volume #9 Webkit
AppleScript基礎テクニック集(19)リモートコントロール〜〜Local and remote RPC - piyomarusoft - BOOTH - Remote Control ~~ Local and remote RPC
Cocoa Scripting Course Volume #1 NSString - piyomarusoft - BOOTH - Cocoa Scripting Course Volume #1 NSString
Cocoa Scripting Course Volume #2 NSArray - piyomarusoft - BOOTH - Cocoa Scripting Course Volume #2 NSArray
Cocoa Scripting Course Volume #3 NSDictionary - piyomarusoft - BOOTH - Cocoa Scripting Course Volume #3 NS Dictionary
AppleScriptによるWebブラウザ自動操縦ガイド v1.3 - piyomarusoft - BOOTH - Web Browser Autopilot Guide with AppleScript v1.3

Thank you.

B.

AppleScript基礎テクニック集(19)リモートコントロール〜〜Local and remote RPC - piyomarusoft - BOOTH - Remote Control ~~ Local and remote RPC

It is the most compact and easy contents to translate. The most important point is pricing. This series is for beginners. So, this “BASIC technics” series contain about 30+ pages. Low price and limited theme books.

Translation will take longer time than writing for me. So, its price will be higher than original. I wrote 8 books in last April in Japanese language. I can’t imagine how long it takes in English.

eSeminor: Cocoa Scripting Course Volume #9 Webkit

It is on a planning stage. The theme (Webkit) is too large to write. It will contain cache, bookmark and some other related classes such as JSKit. RESTful API calling codes (GET/POST) will be required.

Other exist books (Cocoa Scripting Course) may be suitable to translate.

“Web Browser Autopilot Guide” is hard to translate soon. It is not a figure or a picture, but a “ordinary book” described in sentences. So it is a book with a large amount of sentences.