Script libraries based on ASObj-C

Mark and Shane,

I’ve been thinking about ASObj-C lately. I’m trying to see if some kind database can be created to empower scriptures who wouldn’t otherwise use ASObj-C. But I am not planning on any kind of book. Shane’s books is a very good introduction ASObj-C. It is my hope people can read Shane’s book and then they would know how to use the database to it’s fullest effect. But with the examples anyone can get some kind of use from the database. The database is a documentation and example database and it will stay that way.

I am also thinking about building some libraries based on ASObj-C with the idea of making the power of the ASObj-C methods more accessible to scripters. I know Shane had been doing something similar but it does not look like he has time to pursue that now.

My plan is different then Shan’s. I wanted to have a simple Applescript interface that would then be translated into library calls to Object-C. Something like approximating one for each method except there are too many to do one for every single method and function for all Frameworks that work with ASObj-C. Shan’s approach seems to me to be a more higher level approach which is good. The higher level approach is much harder to do, but in the end delivers a more powerful product. But such higher level approaches are beyond my abilities right now, but I think I can handle a lower approach.

The trick is to figure out what ASObj-C calls would be the best choice to target and what order should they be targeted. Which brings me to the point of this post. Both of you know ASObj-C far better then me. I wondered what your thoughts were on this.

I’ve thought about this kind of stuff for a while but what is motivating me now is closing the automation department at Apple. I have learned how business people think. They are big on “return on investment.” Apple invested in Applescript studio and that was a disaster. Apple invested ASObj-C and it was not received well and didn’t do much to change AppleScripting in general. Bean counters tend to conclude when the return is low or worse it’s time to move on.

But at it’s core ASObj-C is a real powerhouse that was implemented in such a way that most of the intended users would not know how to use it. I very seriously doubt Apple would drop AppleScript, but I would expect them to make AppleScript a very low priority. I think if Apple seen ASObj-C start to become what it was hoped to be then it would validate Apple’s investment and perhaps get AppleScript off the back burner. Put simply Applescript can sell more Apple products if it can fill more diverse needs.

Publishers, tech support people, iTunes users, power users, business with very repetitive procedures, … businesses with a need to accesses informations maintained by various applications to compile reports, estimate, predict, … would all be left out in the cold. That would affect future sales and damage the trust Apple customers have in Apple. That is something corporate bean counters can understand.

So my reasons are 2 fold. I’ve thought for a long time this would be good to do and I think this is the best time to do it.

Bill