No More Caveman Debugging

Originally published at: http://latenightsw.com/no-more-caveman-debugging/

This video demonstrates how to use Script Debugger 6 to debug your AppleScript scripts without having to resort to caveman debugging techniques such as adding log and display dialog statements to see what’s happening.

3 Likes

Hey Mark,

LOVE the title! :smile:

Vid quality is very acceptable, and the audio is great.

Take Care,
Chris

Thanks. The title seems to be provoking quite a bit of interest. Note that the videos can be zoomed to full resolution too.

1 Like

@ Mark Alldrit

Hello,
in one script accompanying the videoI found the instruction : use MarksLib : script “MarksLib” version "1.0"
I searched for “MarksLib” in the search feature of the site and it returned nada.
What am’I doing wrongly ?

“MarksLib” is just the name of a sample script library Mark happened to be using in the script.

MarksLib is a library of handlers that I employ in most of my scripts. Their names are fairly self explanatory.

MarksLib.scptd.zip (21.6 KB) [Jan 9, 2017: link updated to the latest version of MarksLib]

UPDATE March 9, 2017: MarksLib is now available as part of my AppleScript Libraries repository on GitHub.

NOTE: MarksLib.scptd needs to be installed in ~/Library/Script Libraries.

Thanks to both of you.
I was assuming that it was an ASObjC lib and started to build one starting from the handlers’s names.

Here is an updated version of MarksLib.scptd which corrects an Cocoa Scripting error when MarksLib is called from a script that does not contain a use framework "Foundation" statement:

MarksLib.scptd.zip (21.6 KB)

UPDATE March 9, 2017: MarksLib is now available as part of my AppleScript Libraries repository on GitHub.