`File Extension Invalid` when editting an AppleScript shebang-file

(Doeke Zanstra) #1

I use some AppleScript shebang file; I give them all the extension .sh regardless of the shebang-line.

So for example hello.sh:

#!/usr/bin/env osascript
get "Hello there"

Everytime I save this file, I get the error message:

File Extension Invalid
The filename extension ‘sh’ is not valid for this document type, which should be saved with a filename extension of ‘applescript’. Do you want to correct this discrepancy?

While this might be helpful in other situations, I think this warning should not be given when the first line of the file is a shebang.

Also: I’m curious how other people name their shebang scripts.

Thanks.

(Mark Alldritt) #2

Thanks for reporting this issue. A bug has been filed and we’ll try and resolve this for the next maintenance release, 7.0.3.

Where can I get info on using AS with shebang and other languages? This is the first AS-shebang I have heard of. Is there an Apple reference manual somewhere?

(Shane Stanley) #4

I suspect the only documentation is that in the release notes, from back in OS X 10.5:

AppleScript now allows # as a comment-to-end-of-line token, in addition to --. This means that you can make a plain text AppleScript script into a Unix executable by beginning it with the line #!/usr/bin/osascript and giving it execute permission. For details of osascript usage, including how to access command line arguments from the script, see the osascript(1) man page.

(CK) #5

All of my AppleScripts are shebang scripts, but I do tend to use the .applescript extension. They all seem to run equally well from inside a shell (I use Bash and FiSh) or from within a script editor (I switch between Script Editor, Script Debugger, and Atom).