Database & Ed's project

I would prefer to have an in app option as well but I have to figure out how to do that since AppleScript is broke in FileMaker Pro 14. It’s on my list of things to work on but I’m trying to get the basic functionality going first.

I’m taking an unusual approach to development. Most often a lot more things are tried and worked out before anyone else sees it. The testing in this stage is referred to as alpha test. That’s why there is an “a” in front of the version numbers. The version I first posted on the discourse site was my very first screen design, mostly my first everything. Before that I had just been compiling data.

Some people might think this was improper for me to do this but showing it so early shortened the design time a lot. If I can get to some kind of beta level I can start posting it in places so other people out side the group can use it. Your input and Shane’s input helped me to make it a lot better. I find it hard to believe if people could figure out how to use ASObj-C that only a few people would still use it. ASObj-C is very powerful.

My thought for the in-app load in the database is to use some FileMaker routine to access an app that would be inside the bundle. The app would launch with the database and and quit when the database quits. Then clicking a button in the database would cause the samples to load in Script Debugger. Right now I am adding the colons and parentheses after the method names and expanding the text in the “description” and “notes” fields to make using the methods easier to use.

Bill

I think I temporarily munged my version of the database.

I clicked “Go to Frameworks List” button

Then clicked the “Framework Live Search” pop up and tried to select an item. Nothing happened. I typed a letter to jump to a different item and the popup menu was editable.

After editing the menu, nothing showed was in the Frameworks list until I clicked “Clear Live Search Field”

The Framework Live Search is no longer a pop-up, but a text entry field.

Currently I have only implemented live search for class items. It isn’t implemented in class or Framework lists. It is on the my to do list. Things came up and I haven’t been able to get to the database for a while I started again on it tonight. I created a button called “See instructive image” tonight. I was trying to explain the NSFileHandle stuff with its count starting from zero, the file offset, the file pointer, the end of file, byte numbering in a string before it’s written to a disk and the numbering afterwards, … and I decided the database needed an ability to include pictures. It’s a whole easier to explain with a picture draw in vector graphics :slight_smile:

I took me an hour and a half to get through 27 so far, so it shouldn’t be that much longer. It’s mostly a process of translating Xcode documentation into normal english :slight_smile: Then once we get this ASObj-C going the entire world will transferred into a paradise :thumbsup: but I’m stating to do the old :sleeping: so I’m done for the night. Live long and prosper. :vulcan:

Bill

Got on the searching, thanks.

You know I find stepping through a script in SD while watching variables and results is the most instructive way of learning this stuff.

That’s why I created a database that is for the most part examples. Stepping thought it helps a lot. Once you can see what’s passed in and returned it helps a lot.

Bill

I moved this discussion to a new topic called “New version of ASObj-C database version a8” It is a more descriptive name then “Database & Ed’s project.” I will post future updates to that topic.

Bill

Ed,

I did finally get the samples in the database to open directly in Script Debugger. It took me a while. I uploaded the new version under the topic “New version of ASObj-C database version a8.” It seemed weird to have a topic name that didn’t fit the topic.

Bill