No More Caveman Debugging

asobjc
tutorial
how-to

(Mark Alldritt) #1

Originally published at: http://latenightsw.com/no-more-caveman-debugging/

This video demonstrates how to use Script Debugger 6 to debug your AppleScript scripts without having to resort to caveman debugging techniques such as adding log and display dialog statements to see what’s happening.

(Christopher Stone) #2

Hey Mark,

LOVE the title! :smile:

Vid quality is very acceptable, and the audio is great.

Take Care,
Chris

(Mark Alldritt) #3

Thanks. The title seems to be provoking quite a bit of interest. Note that the videos can be zoomed to full resolution too.

(koenigyvan) #4

@ Mark Alldrit

Hello,
in one script accompanying the videoI found the instruction : use MarksLib : script “MarksLib” version "1.0"
I searched for “MarksLib” in the search feature of the site and it returned nada.
What am’I doing wrongly ?

(Shane Stanley) #5

“MarksLib” is just the name of a sample script library Mark happened to be using in the script.

(Mark Alldritt) #6

MarksLib is a library of handlers that I employ in most of my scripts. Their names are fairly self explanatory.

MarksLib.scptd.zip (21.6 KB) [Jan 9, 2017: link updated to the latest version of MarksLib]

UPDATE March 9, 2017: MarksLib is now available as part of my AppleScript Libraries repository on GitHub.

NOTE: MarksLib.scptd needs to be installed in ~/Library/Script Libraries.

(koenigyvan) #7

Thanks to both of you.
I was assuming that it was an ASObjC lib and started to build one starting from the handlers’s names.

(Mark Alldritt) #8

Here is an updated version of MarksLib.scptd which corrects an Cocoa Scripting error when MarksLib is called from a script that does not contain a use framework "Foundation" statement:

MarksLib.scptd.zip (21.6 KB)

UPDATE March 9, 2017: MarksLib is now available as part of my AppleScript Libraries repository on GitHub.