Mojave and AppleScript Applets

On Mohave, can I have a standard AS applet that is code signed and saved as run only which contains a helper applet that is also code signed and saved as run only?

I have just tried making my helper applet run only and now the main applet on launch warns me that the file might be damaged etc and then quits.

I thought I might have read something about this somewhere but maybe it was to do with library scripts rather than helper apps. I thought having the helper apps saved as run only might be a good thing for security but seems the system doesn’t like it.

And incidentally should I be choosing to make script libraries run only? Or perhaps what I’m really trying to ask is: can I make the script libraries run only?

Yes, as long as they’re signed with the same certificate.

Yes.

Just to be clear, is there no alternative to code signing your applet to have it run on Mojave?

Another question. I have an AppleScript app that does impositions in InDesign. It is running fine on the one Mac we have currently running Mojave. However an AppleScript droplet that sends emails gives the error that the application could not be opened. Why does one work and the other doesn’t?

There is no requirement to codesign except if you want to pass muster with Gatekeeper. Please read the article pointed to in the first post of this thread.

Very helpful article. Thank you Shane. However, I’m still having an issue with a droplet. We added the app to the Full Disk Access tab in the Security & Privacy System Preference. If I comment out the On Open and End Open lines and use a Choose File command instead, the script runs fine on the Mojave machine but trying to use it as a droplet with an On Open command gives a “The application could not be opened” error. Do you know why this is happening?

What type of file are you dragging-and-dropping?

They are PDF files. It’s a script to email pdf proofs.

Can you post a screen shot of the actual dialog?

Here it is.

Error%20Msg

That doesn’t look like a permissions-related dialog. I wonder if the file is damaged, or has been saved with debugging on.

Thank you Shane. I will look into those possibilities.

I opened the app on the Mojave machine in Script Editor. I commented out the “On open” statement and uncommented the “Choose file” statement that I had in the script for testing. Using that in Script Editor, the script ran fine. So undid those changes then I exported the app from Script Editor, overwriting the one on the desktop. And now the app runs fine in Mojave. So it seems something in the app that was saved from Script Debugger was problematic and exporting from Script Editor cleared up whatever was causing the problem. Puzzling, but it appears all is good now.

Thank you for your help with this Shane.

Saving (or exporting) on the machine itself means that no quarantine information has been set on the applet — that only happens when a file is received via email or a download. But it does sound like it was saved with debugging left on.