FastScripts 3.1: Streamlined Regular Expression Support

Thanks @p1r2c1 and @vinnie-bob for the additional feedback. It’s great to hear that you are finding things to like, and I’ll continue to look at improving the performance.

@vinnie-bob it’s a good point about not being able to share the scripts with others. There might be some merit down the road to figuring out whether I can expose more of the scripting affordances as non-premium features to kind of encourage people to share “FastScripts-powered” scripts, but I made some mistakes in the past with giving away too much for free with FastScripts and trying to avoid that this time around! We’ll see how things progress.

It’s worth noting that Daniel generously makes FastScripts freely available just with a few limitations, so in that respect there’s little difference compared to installing Shane’s free library.

It’s a good point! Though I had been thinking that the regex features might be part of the “premium” set of features, in which case they would only be available to folks who pay for FastScripts. I may still reconsider that, though. There’s merit in making the app appealing to a wide swath of users in the hopes that a percentage will update to the premium features.

If you’re thinking about things to add to FastScripts premium, I have a a couple ideas.

First, since FastScripts is always running, could it handle timed script launches? Sort of an AppleScript version of Chron? There was an app called Cronnix that did that, but won’t run on new systems.

Second, would it be difficult for FastScripts to display a contextual script palette? A collection of scripts, just like what’s in the menu, that would be a floating palette, where the content would change depending on which app was frontmost?

Ed

Thanks for the suggestions! These are both definitely things I could consider.

1 Like

In principle, I think this would be doable with an Alfred script filter. It wouldn’t sort scripts quite like they are in FastScripts but it could be close.

1 Like

Hey folks! Just wanted to let you all know this feature shipped today in FastScripts 3.1! I decided to make the regular expression commands completely free of charge so they will be available to anybody who installs and keeps FastScripts running, even if they don’t unlock premium features. Hopefully this will be a way for folks to easily deploy scripts that depend upon regular expressions in scenarios where installing RegExAndStuff seems more complicated. You can read more about the update here:

2 Likes